Loach Caves

i've read of and seen many a loach cave in my time... ive compiled these from other forum postings and articles around the web. i claim none of these to be mine, theyre just my inspiration :drool:

loach-hotel.jpg

DSCN7007.jpg

DSCN6998.jpg

867453771_b7b5c41331_o.jpg

869984637_211c159b0a_o.jpg

868296932_d06b6d208a_o.jpg

144.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

kubotaihouse2_1.jpg

07_05_30BNCondoRS.jpg

Some of those are quite interesting. I was thinking about making PVC tunnels under the gravel and having the entrances covered by a half coconut shell covered in moss with a little door.

If you are making a long tunnel you will have to watch that things don't die in the tunnel and make your water funny. Also cleaning them out coudl be harder.

Rubix i love the pics with all the loaches in the tunnels together.

I have a yoyou loach that has found a thin gap in my bogwood that he disapears into. Nobody else can get in. He is easy to move out of the tank as he doesnt come out if you touch the wood. Only problem was that i never noticed this hidey hole and unfortunately his mate hardened before i noticed his where abouts!! Man did i feel guilty that night!!

I don't want to hijack the thread but, is ABS and PVC the same thing? :blink:

thanks

If you are making a long tunnel you will have to watch that things don't die in the tunnel and make your water funny. Also cleaning them out coudl be harder.

Rubix i love the pics with all the loaches in the tunnels together.

I have a yoyou loach that has found a thin gap in my bogwood that he disapears into. Nobody else can get in. He is easy to move out of the tank as he doesnt come out if you touch the wood. Only problem was that i never noticed this hidey hole and unfortunately his mate hardened before i noticed his where abouts!! Man did i feel guilty that night!!
Thats a good point, but you could easily solve that with some powerheads and/or airpump and airline tubing to keep a gentle water flow through the pipses to prevent deadzones.

To the OP, I make mine out of tile which I like the look of more than clay and isnt as heavy as slate. I use mine for breeding but when I give them to friends and other hobbyists that want them for decoration I just cover them in a thin layer of silicone and then add sand or gravel to it and it blends right in :good:

Here a pic of just a basic one for breeding.
cave4uc6.jpg

I don't want to hijack the thread but, is ABS and PVC the same thing? :blink:

thanks
ABS,(Acylonitrile Butadine Styrene) is an inferior product compared to
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride).
in industry ABS is used only for drainage as it is unsuitable for anything else

In earlier years I built things out of PVC and such for my fish to give them some kind of structure. After awhile I discovered my tank was starting to look cluttered however. It had nothing to do with too many things in the tank either. I'm one of those people who prefer the naturalistic look...even seeing the filter intake and heater bothers me a little bit. Now I build all my structures and caves and such out of rocks and driftwood, and I'm much happier with the results.

God Bless,
Joshua

I'm one of those people who prefer the naturalistic look...even seeing the filter intake and heater bothers me a little bit.

I agree and I am one of those people too. But PVC buried under the gravel wouldn't look bad, it wouldn't even look like anything if it was hidden in a cave entrance.

I agree and I am one of those people too. But PVC buried under the gravel wouldn't look bad, it wouldn't even look like anything if it was hidden in a cave entrance.

That is true, but wouldn't it just be easier to just build the cave with the rocks?

God Bless,
Joshua

:lol: Sorry the truth hurts like that sometimes. Just go sit in front of your fish tank, find a happy place, and you'll feel better. ;)

God Bless,
Joshua

Well, there's other non-toxic glues but the one going to hold the best is obviously aquarium silicone. That's all I would use personally.

God Bless,
Joshua

i built some caves out of slate and used aquairum silicone, held together a treat and was cheap too :) i love the pics of the clown loaches in the tubes, they look so daft lol

Most reactions

Back