Liverock Queston

Eforeel

Reaction score
I am new to this and a little confused about this live rock stuff. Lets say i buy a piece of liverock will it grow coral, anemone, or stars on it. So the best thing to do would buy live rock and see what grows on it instead of buying stuff like that???

Erm no live rock doesnt really work like that -

The Live Part more mean the Colonizing Bacteria that live in & on the rock

You may be lucky enought to get some Live rock with Coral frags growing on it but this wont really do away with the need to buy other Live Stock

Have a read of this post there is a lot more info on LR there

PS

Anenome's are not (IMO) suitable for Young Tanks & inexperienced reefers

ummm...sometimes you might get a feather duster or maybe some softie hitchhikers, that is not often. The main purpose of live rock is to act as a living filter.

I just got a feather duster and a starfish on a tonga branch covered with green star polyp. Also a little amphipod scooting around

Nah but definitely buy live rock, and the higher quality the better, and the more surprises, or hitch hikers. Ive got tons of stuff growing on mine, seaweed, TONS of coralline algae [purple, orange] little bright green plants, and even these little shiny greenish balls that feel like glass and they grow, its cool, plus a crab. Also, make sure to do the mushroom thing. One time I got a rock with 3 clams, tons of mushrooms, the biggest 1 of which grew inside of an old clam shell, 5 feather dusters, and another 1 of those little green balls, all for $25! Theyre definitely a bargain in my opinion.

I am new to this and a little confused about this live rock stuff. Lets say i buy a piece of liverock will it grow coral, anemone, or stars on it. So the best thing to do would buy live rock and see what grows on it instead of buying stuff like that???
EF-sometimes certain critters will remain alive and in tact as others have noted.
I like to make sure all dead decomposing livestock is cleaned\scrubbed from any l.r. to be introduced in the display tank I:E:>I like to take a 55 gallon rubbermaid container or something most suitable for the size you need,make sure it is clean-of course.
I then use an old toothbrush and scrub what algae...decay material...sponges ..ect -off of the l.r. to make sure you do not have decomposition later on to create havock.
I change water daily for 7-10 days {scrub each day}..and i also keep a set of PC'S- lights on it.
I am aware of the places that state pre-cured,however its best to play it safe and make for a more success down the road.

In time after addition to display tank,you may find that a good biocolloid concentration of amino acids and minerals will bring out "life"that still exists within the pores of the rock..for some odd funk they seem to respond to lost enzymes that were depleted,once they are exposed to the missing extracts.

Most reactions

Back