livebearers

ray john

Reaction score
please can someone tell me why my fry died . I moved them from my commumity tank into a small tank by themselves 6 in total . I used the water out the big tank to put in small tank as the fry has been in the big tank for about 2 weeks . they only lasted about 2days in the small tank by themselves . what did i do wrong ? ? ( iam new to fish keeping and need help as there will be more babys soon )

Did you keep an eye on water quality as the small tanks can soon get polluted, you should do small daily water changes , also is there any way household chemicals have got into the tank.

Or you were not feeding them enough. That happened to me once. Fry need to be fed at least 2x a day

how much water should i change each day in the little tank ? i changed 20%of the water 3 days after putting the babys in the tank. i was feed them 2x day with crushed fish flakes .
also how do u no when to put pregnant plats in the small tank to give birth ?

its kinda a guessing game. When the mommy starts to kinda stay in one place, and isnt eating...its usually a sign to move her. If you move her too soon she will abort, so its kinda hard to know. As for water changes, I would roccomend putting a snail in the small tank along with a corydora and that will help cut down on the need for frequent water changes. I have a coulmbian ramshorn and a golden inca snail plus a bronze cory in with my babies in their 10 gallon grow out tank and I change the water every 3 days and they thrive.

Get the fry tank cycled. Fry are going to be more sensitive to water quality then adults. Under feeding or over feeding can also cause trouble. It takes time but with patience you will get a feel for when changes are needed. Pesty snails or a good grounds keeper will help to keep excess food in check. Try not to let the nitrates get much over 40mg/liter, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Live bearers will give you a lot of fry. See my signature, I have more fry then I know what to do with! :)

Most reactions

Back