Livebearers With Syndontis Catfish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Has anyone kept livebearers, specifically mollies/swordtails with a Synodontis catfish? I know the ph needs are similar, just wondering if the Synocat could be too aggressive for peaceful fish like the swords and mollies. I know synos are generally peaceful, i know mine is, but in contrast, not sure how they'd fit.

EDIT: this would be in a tank-size range of 29-55 gallons. Synocat is not really that big, 3 or 4 inches tops. And I've had him for at least 3 years.

I've seen it done quite a few times, just make sure the syno has it's own cave or a place to hide and everything should ideally be fine.

I've seen it done quite a few times, just make sure the syno has it's own cave or a place to hide and everything should ideally be fine.

Thanks. Yeah, i currently have a sand substrate, and lots and lots of rocks piled up for the syno to hide in and swim in and out of. I plan on leaving all that rock, while adding some artificial plants scattered around to comfort the other community fish I plan on adding.

Thanks again for the reply. Can't wait to start the redecoration process and getting some new stock!

Good luck! Keep me updated! I love both Livebearers and Syno so this is a dream tank for me :D

I definitely will. I'm looking forward to doing it. After quite a few year of nothing buy semi-pricey overly aggressive African Cichlids, it'll be nice to see a nice aquatic love-fest going on. When I was a little kid we had a community tank with swords, mollies, gouramis, etc in it. And I'd sit on my dads lap and watch them. I also remember one of our mollies giving birth. We took her out of the tank and put her in one of those little plastic birth tanks with the divider on it so the fry could swim thru. it was amazing. I have a 6 month old daughter, and I hope she gets to experience some of the same cool stuff!

Awh, I love those memories. I have similar memories with my dad and wish to pass them on to my kiddles.

Not only that, it's a great focal point when you've got company round lol

Most reactions

Back