Little Question About New Aqarium

Animalcazy

Reaction score
First let me say, sorry... My spelling has never been the best, but I get close. I have 2 questions:
1- I just got an 29 gallon agarium on Sunday. I know I need to cycle it. My question is,I've heard of getting gravel from an cycled agarium and adding it, and it will help. ( I have a 2 year old 10 gallon) will that help?
Question 2- My husband and I are wanting to sell our house, problem is my 2 aqariums, how is the best way to trasport an aqarium. We will have to move out and build our house will take approx 6 weeks, so I am looking at having to move these 2- two times. Any suggestions? Thank you.

First let me say, sorry... My spelling has never been the best, but I get close. I have 2 questions:
1- I just got an 29 gallon agarium on Sunday. I know I need to cycle it. My question is,I've heard of getting gravel from an cycled agarium and adding it, and it will help. ( I have a 2 year old 10 gallon) will that help?
Question 2- My husband and I are wanting to sell our house, problem is my 2 aqariums, how is the best way to trasport an aqarium. We will have to move out and build our house will take approx 6 weeks, so I am looking at having to move these 2- two times. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Not being an expert but from what I have read. Gravel from your own aquarium already established is probably alot better than someone elses cause you know its hisyory. Or you could just use the filter from the 10 gallon for bacterial growth.

As far as moving the tanks, if you don't have far to go, what about dropping the water level down to a few inches so they have enough water but makes the tank light enough to move. Then carefully move the tank and add the water taken out back in. If you had a cart or dolly to make the tank ride smoother, the better.

As far as moving the tanks, if you don't have far to go, what about dropping the water level down to a few inches so they have enough water but makes the tank light enough to move. Then carefully move the tank and add the water taken out back in. If you had a cart or dolly to make the tank ride smoother, the better.
I seem to remember looking into this on the net a while ago and there were various methods of moving aquariums depending on size and inhabitants. Some of them recommended using freezer boxes to store fish in to keep them at the right temp. I'd google it and see what you come up with and/or put a thread on here somewhere with a more explicit title, like "Moving house:How do I make sure my fish arrive safely"

i''d say as you have an already established aquarium you have 2 choices of how best to cycle your tank (this is all assuming your existing tank is currently healthy)

1 - either get your new filter and run it in your existing tank alongside the existing filter for a week or so, hey presto, (nearly) instatnt and effortlessly mature filter. Put it in your new tank and add fish straight away (the bacteria will start to die off in 12 hrs if they have no new waste source to live off)

2 - take some of the media from your existing filter and put it into the new filter, this won't be quite as good as the first method but will mean you can add fish straight away, I'd just make sure you add your fish a few at a time and build up slowly as this won't give you a fully cycled filter but it'll be pretty close.

and here
is a very good topic about moving house with aquariums, CFC who wrote is has moved with 18 (i think) tanks so I'm sure if you follow this you can manage 2 :D

good luck and enjoy your new tank :D

Most reactions

Back