Little Help Needed

big_sw2000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi just after a little advise.

Ive got a fluval 190 corner tank. Im needing to move the tank to another room whilest i have flood damage repaired.
Ive moved the tank before, but kept half the water in the bath, whilest moving.
Im under the impression now, that i dont need to keep any water, and can use fresh water in the tank when in its new location. I will be moving the tank back in a couple of months.
Should i take the plants out, or will they be ok in the tank for a short time with very little water.
When i refill the tank, should i treat the buckets of water, or treat the water in the tank when full, before readding fish.
If it all goes to plan, i expect the tank only to be empty an hour or more.

The tank Fluval 190 corner
2 x fluval 205 external filters.
Been set up about 5 years.

Any help

Thanks Steve

Hi Steve, you can leave the plants in the tank if they move will be relatively quick. It is ok to treat the whole tank instead of by the bucket as long as the tap water does not come into contact with the filter (in other words, remove internal filter or switch external filter taps to "off") and the dechlorinator is well mixed in before adding the filter back. If your tap water is treated with chloramine or contains ammonia, use a dechlorinator that will deal with it: tap water in my previous house had 0.25 ppm ammonia after dechlorination!

just make sure you look after the filters and media inside this is where a big part of your benificial bacteria lives. personally id keep them running as much as possible in water from the tank dont be tempted to clean the sponges out unless there slowing the filters down, if you do need to give them a clean do it in tank water only and leave a bit of the sludgy stuff in the sponge.

Hope this helps but Im talking mainly about internals here, I dont know how you would keep an external running in this situation.

Hi Steve, you can leave the plants in the tank if they move will be relatively quick. It is ok to treat the whole tank instead of by the bucket as long as the tap water does not come into contact with the filter (in other words, remove internal filter or switch external filter taps to "off") and the dechlorinator is well mixed in before adding the filter back. If your tap water is treated with chloramine or contains ammonia, use a dechlorinator that will deal with it: tap water in my previous house had 0.25 ppm ammonia after dechlorination!

Ok thanks Kat

About leaving the plants in the tank, thinking it might make netting the fish very difficult.
Although it is an excusse to rescape the tank, but dont really want to up root the plants twice, in a couple of months.

Thanks Again

Steve

Most reactions

Back