Liquid Plant Nutrition Without Nitrogen Or Nitrite Salts

LondonguyJ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
While waiting for the fs to open I was going through the forum and came across this post

Thanks for the link FishyWishie.
It looks like TPN+ is indeed a primarily macro-nutrient soup so it will indeed prevent your plants from consuming nitrogen from the water because the TPN+ is already supplying the plants with the nitrogen they need. The Tropica information reads as if they are encouraging you to use the product in the basic style of an EI dosing scheme, which means you oversupply nutrients, beyond any expected usage, and then do water changes to prevent a negative build up of fertilizers in the water. The water change is intended to reset you to a place where it is again safe to add that much fertilizer. Under that kind of dosing regime, nothing organic in the tank will need to be used by the overfed plants, they have no need for your nutrients from ammonia when they are already overfed on nitrogen.
I would try a TPN+ dose of half or less the usual amount and see if maybe your plants can help things along. I did not see any indication of what form the nitrogen takes in that product so it may also be showing nitrates in your samples that are not from your cycle. Various nitrate salts are the most common ones in artificial fertilizers.

And after going through 70 days of a cycle I refuse to put anything in my aquarium that add nitrite or nitrate which includes the much recommended tpn. Are there any liquid plant nutrient that do not contain any of the things mentioned above.

And after going through 70 days of a cycle I refuse to put anything in my aquarium that add nitrite or nitrate which includes the much recommended tpn. Are there any liquid plant nutrient that do not contain any of the things mentioned above.

Note that there are 2 products:
TPN+ and TPN

TPN+ is the one with N and P. TPN is without!!!

However plants need N and P which is a failing of most other ferts available as they still use the 'No N and P' as a selling point due to old outdated beliefs r.e. N and P causing algae plus being toxic to fish.

TPN+ is a pretty weak mixture when it comes to hi tec aquascaping. People with the higher lighting, CO2 etc would be consuming it like water (excuse the pun) and therefore bite the bullet and get their wallet open or mix their own. For a normal tank TPN+ is by far the best all rounder off the shelf :)

Their site does 'suggest' heavy stocking to go for just TPN and light stocking for TPN+. That said if the plant has a high mass of plants and not just a scattering with lots of substrate visible then it doesn't really matter how many fish are in there. You definately need more N and P.

AC

There is nothing wrong with TPN+ it won't add NITRITES to your tank and as long as you have live plants in there then the Nitrates won't do any harm, they are great for plants.

The OP was worried about adding nitrites AND nitrates. I was just pointing out that unless it is a tank with heavy stocking and few plants then N+P addition will more than likely be needed.

AC

Most reactions

Back