Lip Problems

demonmagus

spamming my way to the top...
Reaction score
Hi, my tank has this 'lip' around the edge, for strength I think, the only problem is it kinda gets in the way of HOB filters and skimmers, does anyone know of any HOB filters (UK) that can stretch over an inch lip?

thanks

I have the same problem I can tell you that most skimmers I have looked at will fit over them in fact the Prizm (I know it's not that good) has been designed to fit over that lip. I can also tell you that the Aqua One and Aqua Vital filters wont fit cos I've tried both.

I know the feeling. I've beeen looking for a while and the only one I've found that looks like it may fit isthis one but it's very expensive and personaly I'd rather setup a sump for that money. The other option if you do fancy skimming is to buy one with an extra compartment for rowaphos or similar. Again I know the Prizm pro has this feature.

Are you looking to run one for a fuge or for rowaphos or the likes. What size tank are you setting up?

30 usg is the point where most would recommend skimming so it may be worth considering. I remember seeing a thread about an eheim external being used as a fuge but can't remember where or who it was. This might be an option.

just what I was thinking, but then it would be a choice between rowaphos and a fuge and I need the rowaphos lol, also I can apparently get away without skimming lol

You wouldnt need to skim if you keep up with water changes, and montior your tanks well. I have a 30g and dont skim, havnt since I started the tank. Its only beneficial, but its not a "must". You can also use Rowaphos in an external filter, and yes, you can also use an external cannister as a refuge, so I think that sounds like your best option. It will also help do two jobs at once, so you wont need the two HOB's. This is Jemram's Journal, with the External Cannister Refugium

Most reactions

Back