• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Reaction score
Hi All, Just a quick Q to anyone has has used Unipacs Limpopo Sand in their aquarium - basicly does it effect the pH?

From what I've read some bags do and some bags don't ???

i have limpopo in both my tanks and it hasnt altered the pH at all

although there is a new limpopo out from unipac thats completely black. it has replaced the more grey coloured version that i have

i have also read that a batch they sent out altered the Ph in 'some' tanks. Though i'm sure Unipac state that it doesn't affect Ph. Personally i wouldn't believe everything i read on the net as there are more things than substrate that affect Ph, which i'm sure you're aware of Davo.

I have a tank with limpopo sand and two with BD Trading plain sand-coloured sand. The pH in the limpopo tank is 7.8 and the pH in the BD Trading tanks is 7.2.

I do test all my substrates before use. Two tubs, one with sand and water the other just plain water (as a control). Test pH, GH and KH immediately, after 24 hours (as I'm well aware that pH alters on standing) then again after 7 days.
All three tests showed an increase over the week with my bag of limpopo sand, but the BD Trading sand had no effect.

It never effected mine but it was magnetic :blink:

It never effected mine but it was magnetic :blink:

Mmm!??....I live in Limpopo province in South Africa and have no clue where your Limpopo Sand would hail from..... If it happens to be from here??..... This whole Province is renowned to be Iron ore districts and could explain why the magnatism..... it could also suggest that your sand may even "rust" inside your tank and result in very undesired water qualities....

It ever rusted and was only slightly magnetic but was odd

It would stick to magnets but not plastic or Metals and if you swished the magnet it would fall off :blink:

Bae

i have no idea about sand but let me just say this..... There is such a thing called Limpopo sand?!?! reminds me of a story i read my daughter last night called "the elephants child'' where this poor baby elephant crossed africa to speak to a crocodile at the 'Great Gray-Green Greasy Limpopo River" too funny! :lol:

I think the name limpopo is just a word they liked, not where it comes from. They also have Senegal sand, Congo sand, Zambezi sand, not to mention Amazon mix gravel, Arctic gravel, Nordic gravel and Canterbury Spar gravel. And their Stellar Stone range named after the planets.

Most reactions

Back