Limia Sp Tiger

dunchp

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Thought I would post a few photos of my limias.

Also the newly dropped female

Attachments

• DSC_0362.JPG
    DSC_0362.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 135
  • Female.JPG
    Female.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 205
oo they look nice, they look like the 5 banded barbs!! wouldnt mind some of them, lol !

are they like common ones where they breed all the time or do they need special reqiurement to get them in the mood??

I am not sure how big they get, mine are about the size of Limia melanogaster at the moment but they are in a four foot tank on their own with very little problem.

I have given them a sandy substrate, but no cover and I get 2-6 fry every month or so, I am not sure whether I will get more if I provide them with cover. They seem to be quite easy to keep and are a really nice fish.

I am not sure how big they get, mine are about the size of Limia melanogaster at the moment but they are in a four foot tank on their own with very little problem.

I have given them a sandy substrate, but no cover and I get 2-6 fry every month or so, I am not sure whether I will get more if I provide them with cover. They seem to be quite easy to keep and are a really nice fish.

my tiger limis r full grown snd sbout 1-1.5 inches, u should provide cover for the fry

I am getting some of these in the next few weeks along with caymenenesis and melonattata and sulphuria, although i cannot find any pics of the latter 2.

I have gotten very much into limia over the past few months and already keep perugiae, humpbacks and melonagaster and the other one that looks like humpbacks... the name escapes me at the moment.

I am getting some of these in the next few weeks along with caymenenesis and melonattata and sulphuria, although i cannot find any pics of the latter 2.

I have gotten very much into limia over the past few months and already keep perugiae, humpbacks and melonagaster and the other one that looks like humpbacks... the name escapes me at the moment.

Wow, where are you getting all those from?

the humpack limia is nigrofasciata, the one that looks like a humpback limia is grossidens.

The reason you can't find any pictures of the sulphuria is because they are sulphurophila (meaning sulphur liking) and melanonotata (meaning black banded). You have to go careful with melanonotata because they are very, very closely related to perugiae and there is still alot of doubt as to which is which. Over the years, they have been named based on where they have been held (Europe preferred melanonotata and UK preferred perugiae) so you need the collection data to really be sure what species they are and even then there is still alot of doubt.

Wow, where are you getting all those from?

the humpack limia is nigrofasciata, the one that looks like a humpback limia is grossidens.

The reason you can't find any pictures of the sulphuria is because they are sulphurophila (meaning sulphur liking) and melanonotata (meaning black banded). You have to go careful with melanonotata because they are very, very closely related to perugiae and there is still alot of doubt as to which is which. Over the years, they have been named based on where they have been held (Europe preferred melanonotata and UK preferred perugiae) so you need the collection data to really be sure what species they are and even then there is still alot of doubt.

Getting them from a friend/breeder who deals in all sorts of rare livebearers :)

And yep, their the 2, nigrofasciata and grossidens which are kept in tanks in different rooms... WELL away from each other and a label on the side of the tanks so i dont forget which is which LOL.

Thats for the name corrections... will have a look around for pics.

thanks for the heads up on the perugiae and melanonotata. Looks like another couple of tanks in different rooms to be used then !!

also picked up from him some German Cofer tail guppies, heteriandria formosa gold form and girardinus mettalicus yellow belly. Also got some other goodies coming from him as well when they are ready :)

OK.

Is your friend in Monmouthshire or Sunderland?

The only reason is that, if so, then he got the fish from me and I will be to give you the full pedigree of the fish. I am not sure of who else has these fish, particularly sulphurophila which I know of only three people who have them in the UK. If you are getting them from any of these people then PM me and I will give you the details.

OK.

The only reason is that, if so, then he got the fish from me and I will be to give you the full pedigree of the fish. I am not sure of who else has these fish, particularly sulphurophila which I know of only three people who have them in the UK. If you are getting them from any of these people then PM me and I will give you the details.

is his name Trevor?

OK.

is his name Trevor?

One of them is Trevor yes.

OK.

is his name Trevor?

One of them is Trevor yes.

then we have a mutual friend LOL !

Yup, I take it you will be coming to the BLA convention?

If Trevor has not given you the details of the fish then do let me know and I will send them across.

Yup, I take it you will be coming to the BLA convention?

If Trevor has not given you the details of the fish then do let me know and I will send them across.

Unfortunately not, i am away at the time :( but will be planning on attending one in the very near future.

Trevor did say they werent quite ready yet, but he is going to let me know as soon as they are. I can't wait if i am honest. I am really getting into Limia's now. I thought there were only 2-3 different types to begin with. Delighted that there are even more !

Yup, there are plenty of different types, I would guess that there are 15-20 types all together.

Many of them are very difficult to get hold of.

Most reactions

Back