Limia Hybrid?

Well since I want hardy and cold tolerate but colorful livebearers. There's a seller has cold tolerate western mosquitofish but they come in 50 fishes which I have no room for them and most likely mixed sex which it will be long project for me for get cold tolerate mosquitofish to cross with guppies (hopefully fancy types) to have hardy livebearer that's not need a heater or aeration either but very pretty instead of grey colored. I got melanistic Eastern gambusia but only a male and no spotted females, just greys which I got bored with greys. I used to have albino gambusia but whole colony died because the greys dominated over them.

Since you can get Gambusia vittata to cross with guppies and Gambusia spp to cross with Spheonp molly, so its possible for the western mosquitofish cross with guppies but who knows. I still want see Gambusia/Spheonp molly hybrid pictures.

Gambusia Vittata has short similar gonopodium to guppies and mollies..
And do hybridize with guppies..

I saw a fish at the LFS today that made me think of this. It was a male guppy about 3 inches long not counting the tail, and with a bent spine. It was in a tank with mollies, and was about the same size as the adults, though not as thick bodied It reminded me of the bottom fish in AdrianHD's guppy/limia pictures.

Any traits I would look for to guess if it was a hybrid and what it may have been crossed with? Or just a mutant guppy?

Edit: Left off one bit. The owner got it from a local livebearer breeder. He's not sure entirely what it is, but it came with a bag of mixed fancy guppies, he assumes it's just deformed from inbreeding, which would explain the bent spine, but I don't think it would explain the size?

A 3 inch long male guppy with bent spine!?! That's odd even male guppies are rare to reach more than 2 inch long (the tail don't count). Is this guppy still alive or sold?

It was still there last week. It can't swim well and doesn't seem to be able to leave the surface. Nobody's bought it, and the owner just says it's a mutation from inbreeding. It's a pretty huge mutation, though.

I wasn't counting the tail, really I was comparing it to the rest of the guppies in the tank. It was easily twice the size of the other males (which were fairly good size themselves), which I was guessing put it around 3 inches.

Could be guppy/molly hybrid, I have seen these before. They are sometimes really nice but often due to the incompatible shapes you get deformed fry that are halfway in size. Did it look like a molly cross?

Butch, it is possible to hybridise gambusia and guppies and get cold tolerant fish. I pulled something out of the creek some time ago that I could not kill. I left it out in the cold in filthy, unfiltered water for ages. Didn't feed it. Overfed it. In general I totally neglected that fish and it still lived. I had no females but I believe it was fertile. I see them in the creek all the time. Idiots have chucked guppies in there, and gambusia were introduced for mosquito control, multiplied and took over everything. The creek gets to about 10 C or lower in winter. They don't all die. I know it's not a pure gambusia because it had colour, green and yellow stripes in the tail like tiger markings and a black dot on the dorsal.

Hi everyone, i have been keepig some limia i caught of a pond in hawaii as well as some mollies out of the same pond with other species of limia and poecilia in a community tank for about 5 yrs and i have had numerous hybrids between the limia and poecilia genuses, the most spectacular one i have right now is a cross between the hawaiian limia and tiger limia sp., im new to the forum and i was wondering how to post pics?

I traded some PM's with Butch, and tried to find the guppy again. Unfortunately, the ones I had seen were gone - dead or sold. I'll keep an eye on the stores, though, and if I see any more, I'll buy them and get some good pictures. The molly hybrid does sound plausible (I didn't know they could cross) - the first one I saw and posted about could pass for a deformed guppy if it were a bit smaller, but since then the ones I've seen were very badly deformed. one female had a big hump on her back so her tail was turned about 60 degrees out of alignment with her head. They were locally bred, and limias, goodieds, and all the rare livebearers are unheard of except as special orders.

trimotoman: Best way to post pictures is to use a site like imageshack.us to upload them, then copy/paste the forum code into a new post.

here r some molly limia hybrids they have molly colr and finage but r limia in shape, these dropped from a female limia

heres a male limia from hawaii, they are supposedly limia vittata but im not sure

and here is a female limia from the pond

sorry its so fuzzy i had to use my camera in my phone, but here is my tiger limia and limia from hawaii cross

John Dawes (The Livebearing Fishes, p. 115) reports molly/limia hybrids (the limia male was himself a melanohgaster/nigrofasciata cross) but mentiones viability problems.

Wow lots of limia/molly hybrids appeared these days than few years ago.

May I ask you some question? What it made you want to cross limia to the mollies? Except for coloration.

Since the hybrids are getting more common these days, they need a name. Li-Molly?

Wow lots of limia/molly hybrids appeared these days than few years ago.

May I ask you some question? What it made you want to cross limia to the mollies? Except for coloration.

Since the hybrids are getting more common these days, they need a name. Li-Molly?
i thought it would be a great project because im fifteen and my biology teacher said it was impossible to cross genuses, i've only been able to cross wild type mollies with limia but i am workin on gettin some color in there. i just keep them in a community tank and see what i get

Heres one of my newest hybrids, Limia spp. from hawaii X Poecilia sphenops(its alittle fuzzy)

Most reactions

Back