Like A Rope Fish But Shorter?

PunchDrunkLove

Reaction score
I got a new fish, its just like a rope fish or a reed fish but its about half the size and has orange tips to its dorsal and tail fins. Its front pectoral fins are also slightly larger. Any ideas?

Put a pic up, and where did you get it from and what where they selling it as?

Could it be a Senegal birchir

Yeah, I hope it's in your #2 tank, otherwise it can grow and eat the small fish.
I've been advised not to get one because there's a small chance it might even go for corys.

Also, of topic slightly, but your #1 tank has a couple of stocking issues.

Red clawed crabs are mainly land crabs that need a decent amount of land to come up onto, and also, they are brackish crabs that can survive periods in freshwater - but will have a very shortened lifespan if you keep them in freshwater. Freshwater doesnt contain all the minerals they need for shedding. To prevent a long drawn out death due to health problems, I would recommend you either re home them to someone else, or set up a small brackish paludarium for them. It's a shame that LFS's sell them for freshwater, it's mainly because they don't know about the animals they are selling.

The second thing is less urgent, but you should probably remove the male or both female bettas from the tank. You should not keep both male and females together, most of the time with domesticated bettas the male eventurally ends up turning on and killing the females. Best case scenario they breed, and the male attacks other fish trying to defend a bubblenest - which can get him killed.

So far I'd say youve been lucky because you have a decent sized tank :).

Yeah, I hope it's in your #2 tank, otherwise it can grow and eat the small fish.
I've been advised not to get one because there's a small chance it might even go for corys.

Also, of topic slightly, but your #1 tank has a couple of stocking issues.

Red clawed crabs are mainly land crabs that need a decent amount of land to come up onto, and also, they are brackish crabs that can survive periods in freshwater - but will have a very shortened lifespan if you keep them in freshwater. Freshwater doesnt contain all the minerals they need for shedding. To prevent a long drawn out death due to health problems, I would recommend you either re home them to someone else, or set up a small brackish paludarium for them. It's a shame that LFS's sell them for freshwater, it's mainly because they don't know about the animals they are selling.

The second thing is less urgent, but you should probably remove the male or both female bettas from the tank. You should not keep both male and females together, most of the time with domesticated bettas the male eventurally ends up turning on and killing the females. Best case scenario they breed, and the male attacks other fish trying to defend a bubblenest - which can get him killed.

So far I'd say youve been lucky because you have a decent sized tank :).

Ive had them a good few months and the crabs are doing fine, same as the bettas, they dont seem to mind each other at all, all in all the tank is very friendly, plenty of hiding spaces and I haven't lost a fish since I started it. Appreciate the comments though.
Also the bichir is for my second tank, everything will grow with it. I've had rope fish before and they we're also fine with the other fish. I've been following the rule that anything that can fit in its mouth eventually will lol

Ropefish are thinner ;). Corys and tetras can fit in a bichirs mouth :good:.

It's not surprising the crabs have survived a few months, they do that in nature, but keeping them in that tank is slowly killing them as they have no access to marine/brackish water as they would in nature.

Keeping male and female bettas is fine in huge tanks, in a 180L it's still very risky. Ask in the betta section :).

If they are happy, they will eventually breed,which will probably mean the male ends up dying.

Most reactions

Back