lighting

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ive got a 3gal hex with a hood and a male crowntail betta and i was wondering how long should i keep the light on would it bother him if i kept it on?

my crowntail seems to flare up 90% of the time when the light is on is this causing stress?

You need to turn the light off. Good time frame is 8-10 on and the rest off. Give them time to rest, everything needs to rest.

He probably flares when the light is on...becasue of the shape of th tank, and when you turn the light on..the angle of the glass makes his reflection show up...so he thinks he is seeing another fish. lol

My Archie flares non- stop when the light in his 2 gallon hex is on.
I had to move Harvey from that same tank for that reason, but I thought he was just hyperactive. Now, Archie is doing it too - Harvey used to flare at all sides of the tank, Archie just does it at the bottom of the back - that's where I have a blue background taped to the tank. Dunno if that's related??

Anyhow - here's Archie in his new home: (I just got him 3 days ago now)
archie1.jpg
As you can see, he's flaring like crazy.

So, since Archie's in our living room, the lights are on in the living room during the evenings, and there's natural light that comes in thru the patio door, so the ONLY time I have his tank light on is for about 15 minutes in the evening, and ditto in the morning when I feed him so he can see the food.

Otherwise I'm afraid he'd have a heart attack. yikes.

See the yellow circle..that is why he is flaring..he thinks he sees another fish lol.

Attachments

• reflection.jpg
    reflection.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 42
Yep, exactly.
And because the sides are positioned the way they are, these guys think they're completely surrounded by several fishes. It must be horrifyingly scary.
Here's my other fish, Harvey (the one I removed from the hex tank and transferred to an rectangular tank)..
In this photo, he's flaring at himself in his rectangular tank, which, by the way - turns into a 4-sided box of mirrors when his light is turned on and it's darker in the living room... You can see what he sees:
harvey1.jpg

He gets along much better in this tank cuz it's only when the lighting is just right in the room when we turn his tank light on that he can see himself. He goes nuts when he can, tho.

I keep it on a night/day cycle. Dickey sometimes swims around and flares at nothing, but for the most part he is OK. If there is a reflection problem, maybe keep it on less but keep the room light on so he's not sitting around in the dark.

Yep - I agree.
At my house, we basically spend all our time in the same room with all our animals. The lights are on every night from 6 pm til around 11 pm, and for an hour or so in the morning. The rest of the time the patio door is open and the natural light comes in.

i geuss hes used to it now hes not doing it as much i saw him yesterday in a pet store and COULDNT resist i had to have him i think he likes his new home hes very active :D

Psssst betta momma I love Harvey; he looks IDENTICAL to my oldest (and favorite) betta Dickey Barett ^^

SRC said:
See the yellow circle..that is why he is flaring..he thinks he sees another fish lol.
he's bootiful! he looks like my b.b. who is in a salt bath right now -- his fins were damaged :sad:

Psssst betta momma I love Harvey; he looks IDENTICAL to my oldest (and favorite) betta Dickey Barett ^^

Thanks! Harvey is adorable. :rolleyes:
He LOVES to flare, and he LOVES to show off. He is kind of over in a corner of our living room on a little table and he swims back and forth and back and forth waiting for someone to come make faces at him, then the show starts ;)

Even though all my boys are walmart or other pet store rescues, and their fins are in bad shape, AND harvey has sunken eyes, I love them all dearly. One day I will have totally healthy fish.
They're all happy boys - just workin on the scraggly fin part is hard.

Most reactions

Back