Lighting

jbatt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

Has any got a RIO 400 tank and used the standard tubes?.

I have yellowish sand, and plain black background.

The tank has been setup for a few weeks now (this tank was an upgade from a smaller tank).

I have given it 3 weeks and I find the water not very clear. A bit cloudy, but I am not sure if it is due to the standard lights that come with the Rio 400 tank.

One example is, I have a 3" discus in the tank. If the discus is at the back of the tank, I can hardly see it - looks like fog. Now I thought with a black background, the fish should stick out.

I am just wondering if anyone else has seen this with RIO 400 tanks and standard lights.

One of the bulbs I have in there are:

Sylvania
Standard
F63w / 129 (whatever this means)
Warm White

Thanks

James

James

I'm still a bit new on the lighting front but remember this interesting thread a little while back on Juwel Lighting.
The cloudiness could be due to the type of sand - some it seems take ages to settle and run clear.

I'm still a bit new on the lighting front but remember this interesting thread a little while back on Juwel Lighting.
The cloudiness could be due to the type of sand - some it seems take ages to settle and run clear.

Hi

Thankyou very much. It was an interesting read

I am going to invest in some lights tonight.

I will keep the original tubes just incase one of the new one blows.

Does anyone know how long a RIO 400 tube is?. I forgot to look when I noted the information down - doh

James

:) 36 Watt (48") x 2 tubes. Aquatics Online have quite good prices, but check out your lfs fist.

Thanks for the reply

Now, I need to tubes. Should I ask LFS for one which will help me grow the plants and one so I can see the fish?

The one for plants goes at the back and the one for fish goes at the front - correct?.

Thanks

James

The tank has been setup for a few weeks now (this tank was an upgade from a smaller tank).

I have given it 3 weeks and I find the water not very clear. A bit cloudy, but I am not sure if it is due to the standard lights that come with the Rio 400 tank.

Hiya,

Have you tried loading the filter with floss, like Symec? It will polish the water really well, and may help resolve your optical issues. I know that when I change mine, the water takes on a 'Glassy' quality that is really nice.

sub.

Hiya,

Have you tried loading the filter with floss, like Symec? It will polish the water really well, and may help resolve your optical issues. I know that when I change mine, the water takes on a 'Glassy' quality that is really nice.

sub.

Thanks for the reply.

Where would I get filter floss from. I will go to LFS and see

I uprated my tubes last night. Wow, the fish have more colours on them now and really shine :)

Still looks misty at the back of the tank.

Hiya,

Just a thought, but you could try several things to clear the water.

When you set up the tank, there should have been several sponges and pads in the filter kit. Firstly, make sure these are in the correct order. Were there any white ones? They are the 'floss' type material I am talking about. You might find that you go through quite a few of these in the first few weeks, as you 'polish' your water. Failing that, you can add the floss that comes in a bag, just ask in your LFS.

You may also try adding a filter aid treatment, but I have only found these effective for green water problems. Have you tried a few small water changes? That will also help. Can you post any pictures? They might help. The Rio 400 is a big tank, and some say the Jumbo H filter is not really as capable of cleaning the tank as a conventional filter, as with an external filter, you have the intake and outlet at opposite ends of the tank(usually).

Keep us posted on your progress, I hope it works out.

sub.

Most reactions

Back