Lighting - Trying To Match My Compact Fluorescent To Glow Of Fluor.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a Coralife 130watt dual bulb compact fluorescent fixture on my tank. I like the brightness and coverage I get from the light, but it's way too white. The bulbs in it are... one 6700, and one 6500.

My old single-strip 20watt All-Glass fluorescent strip gives off an awesome glow... makes my yellow labs and cobalt blues really look awesome, but it's simply not bright enough. are there bulbs I can get for my Compact Fluorescent fixture that will make my fish glow slightly like the All-Glass fluorescent bulb does?

I assume you want more of a bluer and phosphorescent look? If so you might want to try mixing in a 10000k bulb or even add one actinic 50/50 (1 side 10000k the other side 20000k). If you've got square-pin bulbs I'd look into either ebay or hellolights.com for replacements :)

Or you can use one black light tube and one normal 10K bulb.

I assume you want more of a bluer and phosphorescent look? If so you might want to try mixing in a 10000k bulb or even add one actinic 50/50 (1 side 10000k the other side 20000k). If you've got square-pin bulbs I'd look into either ebay or hellolights.com for replacements :)

yes, exactly.. that very slight bluish tint to the water. makes the yellows glow slightly and the blue fish much deeper blue. i have straight-pin bulbs actually... so you think a 50/50 might do it? what about the actinic lighting? would that be tooo blue? maybe i'll try one 50/50 and see how i like it. thanks!

Yeah, I'd start with a 50/50. If you want a little more blue, get a second 50/50, if you want a lot more, get a true actinic :D

Most reactions

Back