Lighting Newbie

huckFIN

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into fishkeeping (tropical freshwater) after a 10 year absence. Last time I had a fish tank there was a light built into the hood. My new fish tank (36" x 12" x 15") has a hood without a light so what is it I exactly need to buy?
OK, I need to buy a light (flourescent tube) but what else will I need. Looking at the lists of starter units, control units etc is causing quite a bit of confusion as far as I'm concerned. For example: Do I need a control unit and a starter unit? I'm assuming that, apart from taking the size of your tank/hood into consideration, most of the gear available will universally fit any hood? :unsure:
It might not sound like it but I am actually quite electrically savvy. Once I know what equipment to buy - and once I have all I need - I should be OK from there as far as wiring it and fitting it is concerned.

Thanks for your reply.
So I take it that the tube length is the only thing to take into consideration regarding the size of your tank/hood.
All the other fittings etc are more or less standard and will fit any size hood?
I think you also need different 'coloured' tubes for whatever type of fish you're keeping. Mine will be freshwater.

yes, and make sure you buy the right wattage tubes & control unit.

<4000k - pinker
4000-11 000k - greener
11 000k+ - blue-er

so if you have a red fish then you will want a kelvinof around 4000K to show the colours of best, if you have plants then it is best to go with a 5700k etc

As a reference, your standard daylight is considered to be 5500K. This is where most of your "daylight balanced" bulbs will be. A regular lightbulb is about 3200K. Above 6500K, you will see a definite shift into the blue spectrum, were as if you drop below 4500K you will see the light become more red. Just a photographer though, so odds are I dont have a clue. ( I fake it well :good: )

Most reactions

Back