Light Upgrade

joseywhales

Reaction score
I want to add to my existing light hood with a 175w metal halide retro fit. I have two aktinic blue 55w ant two 55w 12000k daylite compact. I can get the retro fit in my hood. This will increase my overall wattage to 385. I am sure that I will have to put fans in the hood to help keep things cool. I have a glass top under the hood to keep water from splashing on the reflector. Will two fans keep it cool enough? Here is a pic.

josey

Attachments

• Hood_001_edited_2.jpg
    Hood_001_edited_2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 43
There is about four to five inches in between the lights and the glass. The total length and width is 30''X 18".

If the room is air conditioned in the summer, you can get away with 2 fans. If its not, 4 fans and remove the glass cover.

There is about four to five inches in between the lights and the glass. The total length and width is 30''X 18".

Bit small for a Tang????.

The tank is a 58gal and he is doing well.

As for the glass top. I have a good bit of surface agitation and I was concerned that the salt would tarnish the reflector and hurt the lights. I guess the glass obstructs the light.

josey

Should I take the glass top off and expose the light to the salt?

I understand the problem is heat, but is the glass limiting my existing light enough to take it off? I want to maximize the amount of light I have till I upgrade. I also don't want to ruin the light reflector with salt. :unsure:

Ah, well a thin piece of glass without salt creep doesnt appreciably limit light output. If its covered in salt creep, that kills light.

Most reactions

Back