Light Reflectors

rfisher

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Fluval Duo Deep 800 tank and for a while now I have noticed that the light does not seem to spread over the whole tank,i.e the corners of the tank do not seem to be as bright as the rest of the tank. Anyway I was wondering if light reflectors would help with this little problem. I have seen some in my LFS that just clip over your existing tubes. Do you think it would be worth buying them. The tubes are about 8 months old and are on for 12 hours a day. Or perhaps just replace the tube's with new and brighter ones?

Thanks,

Rich

I have the same tank and have just put reflectors in cos I want to go planted.

The reason the light doesn't reach the corners too well is because they put 24" lights in a 32 inch tank and therefore the light doesn't reach to the ends.

Also the reflectors are 22 inch so they don't interfere with the water seals at the end of the tube.

In answer, the reflectors don't equal the light out so that it reaches the corners, but the whole tank is much brighter than before. You will still have darker corners than the rest of the tank, but not as dark as before.

Worth buying at a fiver each though.

You could try gluing tin foil to the inside of the hood where the reflector doesn't reach

What's the best material for a light reflector?
Mylar sheeting is probably the best. Otherwise matt white paint is very good and works a lot better than tin foil. Tin foil is not a good reflector as it scatters the light too much.

James

Most reactions

Back