Light Fixtures

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shelley120861

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 24" LED lighting system.  Would I need two for a 48" tank or just one?  Thanks!

I think it would be preferable, although, it could depend on just how deep your tank is... 

I'd personally go for 2, if finance allows, so that there's a nice even balance of light across the whole tank length. That would be even more important if you have live plants as well. If you placed a single 24" strip in the centre of the tank you may find plants not doing so well on the far left and right.

That's what I was thinking
smile.png
  I don't have live plants now, but think I will add in the near future
smile.png
  Question....can I go ahead and put my live plants in?  I have a few fish in my tank but it is cycling.  I used Start Right to speed up the process.  Thanks for your help!

Most welcome. Definitely get live plants! Some of them are beautiful, they're very interesting to learn about and keep and also serve a very valuable function in the tank. 

Good luck!

Ok, you talked me into it!  LOL!  Do I have to wait for my tank to cycle before adding plants?  Do they need to be in pots?  Do you attach plant to something for it to grow?  I got an infestation of snails from a live plant years and years ago.  Speaking of snails, are they necessary in a tropical tank?

That was easy!

You don't have to wait at all, no. You can get plants in there right from the beginning. They don't need to be in pots. Most people place stem based plants straight into the substrate, sand, soil or gravel. There are many different types of plants available, some of which are best tied to pieces of bog wood, stones etc, it's really dependent on the plant type and of course the look you're going for.

I know what you mean about the snail infestation. My first foray into snails were plant hitchhikers as well. I wouldn't at all say they were necessary, especially not the ones that breed at an exponential rate, but, there are some available which are actually rather nice looking. You can treat plant with copper based meds to rid them of snails, however, it's pretty bad for shrimp, if you decide to keep them, too.

My advice would be to start with very easy to grow plants from the Tropica 1-2-Grow range. They're specially grown in an non-snaily environment! 

Wow!  Thanks for the info!  Wait....a tropical shrimp?  I must have!  LOL!  I was looking at some plants on Ebay, actually.  I was surprised to find that most I choose are considered easy to grow.  I would prefer not to dip them, is there any other way to prevent snail infestation?  Should I be concerned buying on Ebay or should I get from a fish store?  Thanks!

Some other members may have a fool-proof, 100% way of treating plants without chemicals, but, I can't think of anything that would absolutely guarantee a snail free zone. The eggs can be sticky and very small.

From ebay or from your local fish store there might always be a chance of hitchhikers. Still you can usually control your snail population by avoiding over feeding, sucking out egg sacks when you see them and/or putting in veggies over night and removing them hopefully covered in snails the next day.

And yes, tropical shrimp...I love mine!

Look at the "EDGE" by Aquatic Life. I have one for my 90 gallon Freshwater tank and like it a lot. You can set and control the times on and off and it also has a Sunrise/Sunset feature which is neat.
It comes in 3 sizes including 48". You also control the amount of light although it is bright even in when you turn the "White Light" off. The only downside is the instruction manual. Fortunately they have good customer service via email or telephone. 

OOPS! I forgot this caution. I had to reduce the "time on" from 10 hours a day to 5 to curtail the serious green algae on the walls of the tank, gravel, and deco(s). I didn't mind as this is the time I am in the area to be able to view the fish. Most I have spoken with say this reduction will not stress the fish-but in fact they will most likely be glad. My Discus don't like a lot of light and I use the Sunset phase of lighting for them if I want to visit when the lights are off.

Does anyone know what wattage I would need for LED lights in order to grow moderate light plants?

Sorry, I can't be of much help on that one. I don't do live plants and have never really checked into it. You could check out the Brand and Model numbers(s) of the lights you are considering and then Google the companies and see if they have a web site and either email or call their 800 number for customer service and ask the questions you have. I do that all the time to try and save time and it works and most companies are very helpful.  

With some very low maintenance plants you can get away with around 0.25 watts per litre of water (sorry, I'm from the UK so I don't do gallons).

Ok, I'll try...that might translate to about 1 watt per gallon...ish. 

Most reactions

Back