Light Choices.

Behold

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Can you use normal dayglo tubes for a planted tank? reason is i can get them for about 3 quid...... the aquaglo classica looks no brighter....

Thanks

Antony

daylight globes are better than a lot of aquarium plants globes because they have a better colour spectrum. Daylight globes have a kelvin rating of about 6500K while those sold as plants globes have a pink light and a Kelvin rating about 4500K.

daylight globes are better than a lot of aquarium plants globes because they have a better colour spectrum. Daylight globes have a kelvin rating of about 6500K while those sold as plants globes have a pink linght and a Kelvin rating about 4500K.

Spot on. No more expensive tubes then except for my moonlight bulb.

I am thinking of changing my tubes for new ones, i have four T8's. Its a three foot tank and i am also going to get a pressurised co2 kit.

Can anyone recommend four new types of tube, colour and make for best plant growth and fish colour?

Thanks guys.

(sorry for hijacking post, thought it was easier to carry this lighting post on rather than starting a new one)

I am thinking of changing my tubes for new ones, i have four T8's. Its a three foot tank and i am also going to get a pressurised co2 kit.

Can anyone recommend four new types of tube, colour and make for best plant growth and fish colour?

Thanks guys.

(sorry for hijacking post, thought it was easier to carry this lighting post on rather than starting a new one)

You looking at switching to T5s?

What wattage do the bulbs have and how big is the tank.

Its a rio180, 3 foot long. I want to keep the T8's just don't know best make/colour tubes to get to get best plant growth and colour.

get some globes with a 10,000Kelvin (K) rating. They will give a nice clear bright white light that is great for plants and viewing the fish.

10,000K is the temperature or colour rating of the globe.

Heaps of companies make globes, it just depends on which country you live in as to what is available. Ring your LFS and ask what globes they have, in particular if they have any with a 10,000K rating. It is usually printed on the globe next to the size and brand. After you have rung the LFS ring a lighting supply store and check out your local hardware. Also hyrdoponic shops sell a variety of globes.

That sounds good i'd like a bit of colour other that just white light.

Just of note if you hadn't clicked yet, Austrailia sells light bulbs or tubes as globes.

Most reactions

Back