Lfs that exchange fish

I have 3 stores near me Petsmart, petco & an independent...the first 2 will not take any fish back unless it is dead I believe up to 10 days after purchase.. Petco's also needs a water sample before giving you credit..the independent shop only gaurantee's certian fish. Clown loaches never have a gaueantee & is a buy at your own risk deal. They are very up front about it, signs posted everywhere. In the case of fish that are healthy but have grown too large for your set up you have to speak with the owner and he alone chooses wheather to take the fish or not and sometimes you will get a 1/3 store credit or none at all based on his mood . I have yet to have to make other arrangements for any of my fish. As I had posted before though I do have a common plec that will need to be dealt with soon.

inch... said:
What is your opinion of this practice?

Good and bad. If they sell sick fishes, then they need to take them back or at least give medicines for nothing. Or if they sell large fishes and tell buyers that those fishes aren't so big and they are suitable for buyers, then they need to take them back.

I don't really like that fishes are brought back without good reason: 1. You need to know what you are buying, always. (Do you buy a dog without knowing anything about it??) 2. Diseases will spread easy from one tank to other tanks (because hobbiests don't use quarantine and lfs neither and if they have one, they keep fishes in quarantine too short time.)

my favourite lfs (we have a few round here, but this one is the cheapest AND they keep their fish in the best conditions AND they're the most helpful and honest!!)
has a take back scheme. :thumbs:
they will exchange larger schooling fish, such as tiger barbs, so that you can restart the school because the adults would bully the younger ones.
they also swap fish. i bought a neon blue dwarf gourami off them, took it home and they'd given me one which was missing an eye and i really didn't like it with a hole in one side of its head, so i took it back and they gave me another.
they also give you a 1/3 of the original price for baby fish you have brought up, or large fish you are taking back.

i think its a pretty good system, sometimes it is necessary to take fish back. :sad:

CFC said:
Whats wrong with used fish? Many of my fish are ones that have been returned once they have started eating their tankmates or outgrown their original owners tanks. Without the option of being able to buy grown on fish i would have to have several grow out tanks or buy expensive adult wild caught fish.
I think that might be a little different, CFC.

I see that more as a hobbyist selling a fish to a dealer, less as a return. This is where buying from an independent store is a good thing because if a dealer knows the seller is serious about his fish, he will be more inclined to accept a fish he brings in for the reasons you mentioned and sell it to you, another customer who he knows is a serious fishkeeper. That fish will either be quarantined before being sold or you will be informed that it was not. A person who builds his store's reputation (not to mention his livelihood,) on quality would not risk doing otherwise.

What worries me more is the thought that some woman might get a fish home and decide that it doesn't match her color coordinated living room (or some such nonsense reason). Then, since its not going to be her concern, she stops at the mall on the way back to the lfs leaving the poor fish in the car. When this fish gets put back into the dealers tank it will probably still look healthy and neither the dealer nor the eventual buyer will know that it has caught a chill and is getting ready to come down with a case of ich.

Most hobbyists don't have the extra tank space to quarantine a new fish and by adding this fish they are likely to infect their entire tank.

THAT's why I question the wisdom of an lfs taking returned fish.

_______
MrV :) re: dogs Yes, anyone who adopts a dog or cat from a pound or animal shelter takes it without knowing anything about it or its heritage. And, it's a good thing so many people do this or we would be overrun with homeless animals.

the lfs that I work at will swap fish for something more sutable or give credit. the only things that we won't take are the things like redtailed cats and pacu etc which we will never be able to sell and don't have the facilitys to house.

inch... said:
Yes, anyone who adopts a dog or cat from a pound or animal shelter takes it without knowing anything about it or its heritage. And, it's a good thing so many people do this or we would be overrun with homeless animals.

It's very sad that people takes animals but doesn't take care of them. I think law should be stricter and more punishments should be given. Real punishments!

smb said:
They at least offer a warranty don't they inchworm? If the fish dies within 24-36 hours I would hope so.

I don't buy fish on impulse so I would like it if they wouldn't ever take fish back. Maybe we wouldn't have so many Oscars in a 10g tank.
I asked this question at my favorite lfs when I went there today. They do not warranty any fish, but if they get other complaints, or have an outbreak of something in their tank, following the sale, they will replace the fish.

I think this is fair. I've never known them to sell sick fish, and this rules out replacing fish that were treated inappropriately by the buyers.

Even when I just started shopping there, I remember the salespeople telling me about fish that would grow large or need special water requirements. I've learned a lot about fish just by going in at a time when there weren't too many shoppers and chatting with them.

And besides, when you go in there, it's warm and steamy and while it's not a fancy place, it makes you feel real good to go inside. :D

Inchworm said:
And besides, when you go in there, it's warm and steamy and while it's not a fancy place, it makes you feel real good to go inside. :D
:wub:
I love being in my lfs too, the people are so great and there's always great stuff to eat :lol:

It's nice having a lfs that knows you and what you like, everytime they get a fish or something they'll think I love they're so excited to show me when I come in :lol: :wub:

I think your lfs's policy is a fair one Inchworm :nod:

its no gd if they offer very very gd prices if u sell them ur fries otherwise it'll encourage fish keepers to breed just for the sake of selling instead of personal enjoyment.

Most reactions

Back