Leporinus Compatable With Sharks Or Cichlids? Need Advice:)

Garbage

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Leporinus is one of the few fish Ive never had nor have any experience with, I was wondering are they compatable with Red tail Black Sharks and Plain Black Sharks? And how about Cichlids? (Central + South American and African) How well do these guys defend themselves? Are they tough enough to coexist with cichlids as regular sharks can? Lots of questions! Thanx in advance to anyone with experience with these fish!!!!

I have a couple of Leporinus fasciatus and they are the single most aggressive nasty fish i have ever kept, before i caught them in the act they dispatched several supposedly more aggressive tankmates which included a rainbow wolf fish, 2 freshwater baracuda and a florida gar. Their favoured method of attack is to get underneath their victim and rip out the soft tissue where the gill plates meet.

I now keep mine with a school of Exodon paradoxus which are very aggressive themselves and also very fast, i would be wary of keeping them with anything of value to me.

I wonder how they would do with an RTBS and a red devil and several other similarly tempered fish..

I wonder how they would do with an RTBS and a red devil and several other similarly tempered fish..

The aggression of a RTBS and a wolf fish aren't very comparable really, wolf fish are extreme predators, and RTBS are just a bit bad tempered.

I think he'd most definitely take out a RTBS since they aren't tough and most likely a red devil. if he can live with exo's you know he's a baddie!

I think he'd most definitely take out a RTBS since they aren't tough and most likely a red devil. if he can live with exo's you know he's a baddie!

Wow you really think it would take out a devil huh? How about a black shark?

Wow you really think it would take out a devil huh? How about a black shark?

I've never owned a black shark before so I can't really say, CFC will have to answer that.

It might work with a black shark, it could work with the RD too but you just dont know until you try it.

What you do have to remember though is that the Leporinus has a pretty large set of teeth in the front of that mouth (which is why their name translates as "little hare") and they can do a lot of damage when they are used in anger. They are also quick and can grow to 10 inches so have the size and manouverability to tangle with all but the biggest and meanest of fish.

That was really helful, thanx! So Leporinus have teeth huh? I didnt know that. Dont Devils have teeth too?

That was really helful, thanx! So Leporinus have teeth huh? I didnt know that. Dont Devils have teeth too?

Red Devils have teeth but not anything like the Leporinus or the pseudocanines of the Parachromis.

I think the Red Devil could hold his own in the anger department because they are sometimes psycho fish but the Leporinus is just so dang quick, that's the only reason I didn't think it might work with the Leporinus.

Like CFC said, sometimes you never know until you try it. I don't think I would try it with the RTBS, though. They are so aggressive and noone has told them yet that they are just really a minnow.

Red Devils have teeth but not anything like the Leporinus or the pseudocanines of the Parachromis.

I think the Red Devil could hold his own in the anger department because they are sometimes psycho fish but the Leporinus is just so dang quick, that's the only reason I didn't think it might work with the Leporinus.

Like CFC said, sometimes you never know until you try it. I don't think I would try it with the RTBS, though. They are so aggressive and noone has told them yet that they are just really a minnow.

lol at your last comment heheh My RTBS might be in trouble anyway once my black shark really starts growing lol

Ive kept a Black shark and a banded Leporinus together before the Leporinus was full size and the bs was about a foot long, the bs was the boss and really kept the Leporinus in check but they are opportunist fin nippers and he was able to nip the black shark a few times while he was resting (wich he paid the price for with a beating) but i removed the Leporinus in the end as i didnt want a large bs with damaged fins.

Ive kept a Black shark and a banded Leporinus together before the Leporinus was full size and the bs was about a foot long, the bs was the boss and really kept the Leporinus in check but they are opportunist fin nippers and he was able to nip the black shark a few times while he was resting (wich he paid the price for with a beating) but i removed the Leporinus in the end as i didnt want a large bs with damaged fins.

Black sharks are VERY cool fish:) And not to be messed with either!

i havnet kept either a RTBS or a leporinus, but ive done a TON of reading on both a few months ago cause i almost bought one of each. it is in my opinion that the two would get along while young and about the same size, but the leporinus grows fast and will definitely outgrow the RTBS. once the leporinus is bigger i think the RTBS would get abused and eventually destroyed. again, just my opinion.

i havnet kept either a RTBS or a leporinus, but ive done a TON of reading on both a few months ago cause i almost bought one of each. it is in my opinion that the two would get along while young and about the same size, but the leporinus grows fast and will definitely outgrow the RTBS. once the leporinus is bigger i think the RTBS would get abused and eventually destroyed. again, just my opinion.

Well a leporinus gets twice as big as a RTBS but a black shark gets twice as big as a leporinus. If I were to add a leporinus to my tank Id be more woried about him than anything else. I have a red devil that is pretty big too in addition to the black shark, might pick on the leporinus more than Id like.

Most reactions

Back