Lemon Tetras And Another Question.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ythao01

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about putting a new active schooling fish into my tank and I found a few species I might pick from like lemon tetras and serpae tetras but I was wondering if there were any other types of fish that are colorful and large bodied like them.

I was also wondering how yellow lemon tetras get. I've seen some pictures where their whole body is a nice see thoughy yellow, then I see others where they're see though and silver. is it a color variant? Or do they turn yellow during breeding time or what?

I'm not sure on how yellow they get as I havn't had them. What about emperor tetras? :) We are talking about your 40 breeder tank right? I am just making sure for anyone else who reads this.

yep :) I decided to give my CPDs to my cousin because he wants to try and breed them. I was thinking about emperor tetras but I have a black substrate and black background so a black colored fish might blend in too well.

I've taken a liking to the flat, tall and wide look of a discus but I've read that discus can be pretty high maintenance and I don't really have and more room for a bigger tank.

how about a dwarf gourami (similar look to discus) and a school of bleeding heart tetras?

They're fins are usually bright yellow. Mature females tend to become pale yellow and males do tend to become more yellowish during their breeding season. Older and larger specimens tend to be more yellow-bodied.

Do take note that though for the community tank, serpaes and lemons do not mix well together if they are kept in loose schools (less than 8 fish per school for each tetra). Some light brawling, overcompetitiveness during feeding and swimming space disputes are to be expected

thanks for the replays. I have decided to go with 20 serpae tetras as my petsmart only had sad looking bleeding heart tetras and sick looking lemons. but they seemed to have gotten a new shipment not too many days ago of serpae tetras and they looked young, lively and healthy.

Most reactions

Back