Led's

yon

Reaction score
i'm looking for LED's that i can place scattered around inside my 6*2 foot tank

You can get LEDs at any electronic store... solder some light twin wire to them, and seal with either a hot glue gun, or a blob of epoxy ! Fraction of the price of a commercial solution...
If you are truly stuck, I can supply VERY high power LEDs, but these may be a little too bright for aquarium use, I sell them to the car modders for dash lights etc !

You can get LEDs at any electronic store... solder some light twin wire to them, and seal with either a hot glue gun, or a blob of epoxy ! Fraction of the price of a commercial solution...
If you are truly stuck, I can supply VERY high power LEDs, but these may be a little too bright for aquarium use, I sell them to the car modders for dash lights etc !

I'm creating a custom LED installation for the back of my bowfront and I have to say that I second this oppinion. I have a couple of Ultra-bright UV LED's (Basically "blacklight" LED's), a few blues and a couple of red's. The UV ones look friggen' awesome because they reflect off of my white plastic plant (it looks kinda crappy during daylight by awesome at night :) ). It takes more time to do it this way but it also only takes one plug and you can really make it look sweet.

Go to www.mouser.com or www.digikey.com. These are internet electronics warehouses that sell LEDs as well as all parts dealing with electronic. They have all sizes and colors. Colors are very cheap. Whites are more expensive because of the new demand created by flashlights etc. .

-C

I'm creating a custom LED installation for the back of my bowfront and I have to say that I second this oppinion. I have a couple of Ultra-bright UV LED's (Basically "blacklight" LED's), a few blues and a couple of red's. The UV ones look friggen' awesome because they reflect off of my white plastic plant (it looks kinda crappy during daylight by awesome at night :) ). It takes more time to do it this way but it also only takes one plug and you can really make it look sweet.

Hi,

I thought that UV light was harmful to fish and plants. Not sure but it might be worth checking before you do this. :/

Rich

The UV wavelength of most UV LEDs is not particularly harmful -- but it can still damage people's eyes. This is because they actually emit much more energy than they appear to (i.e., they look dim, but they're not), and hence your pupils may not contract sufficiently to protect the eye. As long as you don't stare directly at them, however, it's not likely to be a problem.

J

The UV wavelength of most UV LEDs is not particularly harmful -- but it can still damage people's eyes. This is because they actually emit much more energy than they appear to (i.e., they look dim, but they're not), and hence your pupils may not contract sufficiently to protect the eye. As long as you don't stare directly at them, however, it's not likely to be a problem.

J

Cool. I may have to look myself now.

rich

Most reactions

Back