Led's As Main Light?

Ian H

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a old 5gal hex tank laying around that i can't use since the light unit burnt out (water got in it) Anyways i was wondering could i use wide angle white led's as the main light? There wouldnt be any demanding plants in there, a bit of javafern/java moss and possibly some vallis if it would grow?

I have a old 5gal hex tank laying around that i can't use since the light unit burnt out (water got in it) Anyways i was wondering could i use wide angle white led's as the main light? There wouldnt be any demanding plants in there, a bit of javafern/java moss and possibly some vallis if it would grow?

I would say not, LEDs are quite narrow in spectra... as well as low in light output (in comparison to "real" lights)
Sorry ! :no:

Do some google searching. You will find that full spectrum LEDs are manufactured but so are a scant number of aquarium hoods with LED lighting.

On a side note... LED lights for growing plants have been around for some time now but are designed with the specific spectrums that plants need to grow. These colors would not be desirable in a fish tank for display.

Q

People can now grow SPs corals under LED, so plants should be no problem. Check out luxeon k2 LEDs, or else the LED arrays made on reef central to grow macroalgae.

I remember reading an article in Practical Fishkeeping about LED bulbs, i can't find which magazine it was but it was in the 6 months. I think the conclution was they aren't any good at the moment due to cost and light spectrum but they are hoping it should be affordable in the next few years.

Hi,

On the subject of LED lighting there's an interesting thread HERE over on PFK.

This guy has built his own and tells you all about how he's done it.

Regards

Dave.

Full spectrum, in my understanding, when applied to LEDs is a misnomer... they simulate "white" by mixing the 3 primary colours... each of which is a very specific wavelength, so even though they are "white" they still lack a vast amount of the spectrum.

Most reactions

Back