Led Lighting

josh_g

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So 4 out of 8 of the bulbs in my 7x2x2 tank have stopped working. I changed the fuses but that didn't help so I opened up the box where the wiring meets the on/off switches and 1 of the wires has frazzled and disconnected from the switch :( Contacted the company and will cost £150 for a new hood/light unit :( Was thinking of getting an electrician to come have a look but might just buy some LED strip lights to go under the hood to brighten it up.

Anyone have any suggestions? Don't want to spend a fortune but also don't want anything that will end up burning my house down. I've heard some dodgy things about some of the cheap LED lights.

Thanks

I bought a couple of cheap ones because I wanted to try out the configuration before trying to find good ones. Definitely do not cheap out and expect good lights. The ones I got make my fish look pale. Blue colors are good but reds are almost non-existent. I was hoping to get some submersible "full spectrum" LEDs but am having trouble finding anyone that can make recommendations. I may end up going with a low profile, place on top fixture as that is all that I can find in the stores and I don't want to spend a good chunk of money without seeing whatever I could find on-line.

That being said. Fluorescent fixtures are fairly easy to fix with just basic electrical knowledge.

Thanks for the reply Rob unfortunately I have NO electrical knowledge. I would do more harm than good trying to fix it myself lol

Back in the day, when I worked in pet stores, we would gladly help a customer out with replacing parts, usually for no charge. That kind of service is hard to come by these days but it's worth a shot.

Most reactions

Back