LED Light Fixtures?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

paticpatic

Reaction score
I have an observation about my LED light fixture. I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experience?

I’ve had aquariums for 45 years and never had issues keeping Plecostomus alive. About 8 years ago, my florescent light fixture stopped working. I went to local pet shop and discovered they no longer sell florescent fixtures. I shopped around only to find all light fixtures are now LED. So, the past 8 years, I’ve used a LED light fixture. It seems to work good, except my Plecostomus died about 1 month later. I waited until algae built back up and bought another Plecostomus. It would clean my tank of algae and die a few weeks later. I tried a few different brands of algae pellets but none of them helped. I keep repeating this scenario for the past 5 years, algae built up, buy a Plecostomus, algae is cleaned and another dead Plecostomus. I’ve cleaned my tank, changed the water, had it tested at local fish store and can’t find a reason why my Plecostomus dies, but all other fish are fine. Maybe LED light fixtures can’t create enough algae to keep Plecostomus alive. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Are there LED fixtures that promote algae growth better than others?

Thanks for your suggestions,
Kevin

Last edited:
Are there LED fixtures that promote algae growth better than others?
Nicrew lights are really powerful and will create lots of algae. However, getting a fish to solve a problem in the tank, usually creates more problems.

Pleco’s don’t actually eat as much algae as people think. They should be fed a varied diet. I feed mine Pleco Sticks, made my Fluval, (Bug Bites) along with woof fiber from my driftwood. Plecos need wood fiber to properly digest their food.

I looked closer at my LED light fixture and noticed it has 14 White LEDs and 4 Blue LEDs. I found most LED fixtures have a lot more LEDs then mine does. I got mine about 8 years ago so I'm guessing the LED Light Fixtures are much better now. I will research Nicrew LEDs Light fixtures and give them a try.

Do you hane driftwood in the tank. As mentioned, plecos need wood to help with digestion.

I appreciate the advice about driftwood, but all of my tanks had plastic plants and ceramic skulls and I have been able to keep plecos alive. Then, switching to LED Fixture is the only change and Plecos only lived long enough to remove all visible algae and a few weeks later died?

I appreciate the advice about driftwood, but all of my tanks had plastic plants and ceramic skulls and I have been able to keep plecos alive. Then, switching to LED Fixture is the only change and Plecos only lived long enough to remove all visible algae and a few weeks later died?
You may have been “able to keep them alive”, but that doesn’t mean you are giving the fish the best possible environment to live in...

Plecos need driftwood in order to properly digest their food. (They eat the wood fibers) If they don’t have driftwood, they may still be able to live, but it won’t be a good life for them.

Even if the piece is only 2 inches long, it’s better than nothing.

I think I have a plan now to move forward. Buy a Nicrew LED Light fixture that fits my tank. When that arrives, I will go to local pet shop, get a Pleco and a piece of driftwood. I am hopeful these changes will keep my Pleco alive and healthy. Thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

Back