Leaving father with fry

wuvmybetta said:
So, imo, if you plan this for your first spawn prepare yourself for heartbreak and hope for the best. It might work out.
[snapback]855923[/snapback]​

tyvm :) I was already half-prepared for heartbreak to begin with, since these guys are a little older than I had planned on using when breeding, and they're going to be even older when I can actually breed them now because of this residence thing *fumes silently for a minute or two* but with three healthy prospective parents and plenty of long winter days on my hands to devote to the requisite water changes, I figured I'd chance it. If it doesn't work out leaving Papa in, then I'll have learned my lesson for the next time :)

i do leave the father in for twenty days and have found the fry better for it as they stay at the top of the tank so easy to clean out but some male will eat the fry so its not an exact science but he must be fed as normal as if not he will turn cannibal........... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: it must be watched carefully and not something i would suggest you do if this is your first spawn get a few under you belt first before trying, as you will get to know the behavior of the fry first...... :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks very much for the information; every piece of input is greatly appreciated. I'm still debating whether or not to even get a spawn from these three because of the new developments in my living situation as well as their advanced age(s), but I'll definitely take all of this into consideration. I want to make sure this is completely doable given my circumstances before I even begin to attempt it :)

When you leave the male with the frys here is something Yeeviabetta told me: Feed the father at the same time you feed the frys when they are free swimming (about 50 hours after the frys hatch). Feed the father regularly and not too much. Hope everything works out for you.

Hi there,

After my experiences with leaving the dad in, I would do it again in a heartbeat - but probably not any longer then a month. Wuv's got a point, dad may be likely to try to reassert his dominance and kill off the most agressive fry, which could be your best. However, I just don't see this as being too likely until the fry are a little older and more developed - that's why if I did it again, I'd pull the dad at 3-5 weeks. Also, if you leave dad in too long, you increase the chances of having an unexpected, uncontrolled father/daughter spawn.

Here is the thread about my first expeience leaving in dad. Hope it helps some.

Thank you so much. That was just what I was looking for. Yeah, the articles I linked to did mention a father/daughter spawn, and the last thing I need is some random gal deciding she's good enough for her dad, and giving me a whole new batch of fry :rolleyes:

Fiyero and his ladies were mailed to me just today, and I do have a few months before I have to decide, but I really appreciate all of this information. It's going to go a long way toward helping me decide. :)

Most reactions

Back