Leaking Marineland Filter

shadowhywind

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, yesterday I found out that my c-220 marineland filter was leaking (when i stepped in a puddle of water!). I unplugged, cleaned out the inside of the filter, put everything back, and everything seamed to work, there was no apparent leaking. To be on the safe side I put it inside of a 5 gallon bucket. This morning (12 hours later) I have a good 2 inches of water in the bucket..

There are 4 small 'streams' of water running down the side of the filter, 1 at each of the grasps/locks. I doubt this is related, but when I pulled the hose connector out yesterday, The connector wouldn't shut-off all the way, there was still a trickle. I'm just thinking that I have to clean the connector, since that has never been cleaned before.

So any thoughts of what I should be looking for/at? Anything would be helpful, Thanks

So, yesterday I found out that my c-220 marineland filter was leaking (when i stepped in a puddle of water!). I unplugged, cleaned out the inside of the filter, put everything back, and everything seamed to work, there was no apparent leaking. To be on the safe side I put it inside of a 5 gallon bucket. This morning (12 hours later) I have a good 2 inches of water in the bucket..

There are 4 small 'streams' of water running down the side of the filter, 1 at each of the grasps/locks. I doubt this is related, but when I pulled the hose connector out yesterday, The connector wouldn't shut-off all the way, there was still a trickle. I'm just thinking that I have to clean the connector, since that has never been cleaned before.

So any thoughts of what I should be looking for/at? Anything would be helpful, Thanks

I have a c360, and a c160, the 160 leaks around the same spot as yours. You could try lubing the seals up, or just replace them. I bought new seals at pet mountian for $15.00 shipped to the house! Was going to buy at marineland first, but they wanted like 15.00 just to ship it.

I have a c360, and a c160, the 160 leaks around the same spot as yours. You could try lubing the seals up, or just replace them. I bought new seals at pet mountian for $15.00 shipped to the house! Was going to buy at marineland first, but they wanted like 15.00 just to ship it.

I figured out what was causing the issue, If there was water inside where the black valve (where the 2 hoses get connected) goes, it would seap out where the 'hinges' are. I called marineland to get there thoughts. The girl I talked to said she would replace the entire filter. She said "there is a lot of empty space inside the motor head, so once the water builds up it will start to leak out".

I took a look at the Black valve and noticed something interesting. The 'out' side, is forever stuck in the close setting, so I think what was happening, was that the filter was able to suck in water, but when it tried to push it out, it was somewhat getting stuck in that void and then leaking out.

Most reactions

Back