Lazy Snails

MarchHare

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I went and got four Nerite snails for my 5.5 gallon Betta dwelling. Three Horned, one Olive. All less than 1/2 inch.
The first day they were all over the tank chomping up algae. I do have a small algae problem.
The next day they were down to very slow activity, which is where they are at now.
Did these guys just gorge themselves, and have now slowed down due to full bellies?
Actually they have not made much of a dent in the algae. Nothing on the face glass.
Water parameters are:
Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 20, KH 2, GH 2, PH 7.0
I would really like to get a couple more Nerites say, a striped or zebra type if you don't think this would be over stocking.
Thanks for any suggestions and advice.
March...

When I got my first Nerite it would eat for a time than take a rest. The rest time was sometimes short and sometimes long. I think it is normal behavior. Currently i have 3 and I think that is about optimal for my tank but that is just basically a guess. You could try 2 more. Note if you have multiple snails of the same shell patterns you will get eggs sometimes hidden and other times all over the glass. They will not hatch but some people don't like that. You might be able to avoid the eggs by having one one of each shell pattern. I believe the differences in the shells indicate different species of Nerite. And if you have only one snail for each shell pattern breeding and eggs may not occur.

However don't expect the Nerites to solve your algae issue. during an algae bloom algae grows very fast. Almost always too fast for shrimp or snails to keep up. Also keep in mind that snails do best at eating films on the glass and substrate. however for other types of algae, such as hair algae, they cannot eat So at best with Nerites you will control film algae. But then hair and other forms of algae will become more of a problem.

The best way to solve an algae issue is to find the cause and correct that first. With the cause corrected algae growth will slow and may even stop. once that happens snails and shrimp can make progress on the Algae.

sometimes algae issue can be resolve by doing larger more frequent water changes, adjusting how long the lights are on, or by doing more extensive substrate cleaning. Other times nutrient issues need to be identified and resolved. You will never completely clear the algae. However you can minimize the amount in the tank so that you can ignore it.

Many thanks for your information and advice.
Well, this AM the little guys decided to get back to work.
Actually, I think I'd like another snail or two for the added interest they bring to the tank.
I plan to go to the LFS on Saturday and see if I can't score a Striped Nerite and one other pattern. In the event my Betta bothers them, I'll just move them to another venue 'till I get my other tank going. So far he's only taken one shot at the Olive Nerite.
As far as eggs go, I think a razer blade scraper will handle anything on the glass. If I get too many on leaves I'll try to separate out one of the offenders.
I do have regular algae growing which I know is a result of my increased lighting. Since I am now using Flourish, I know that's probably part of the issue.
I've reduced the amount of time the light is on from 12 to 10 hours. I may also raise the hood to reduce the amount of light. Its a work in progress.
The crushed coral that you recommended in another thread is nicely doing its job by moderately increasing my PH/KH.
So...thanks again.
March...

So I went and got four Nerite snails for my 5.5 gallon Betta dwelling.
I think I'd like another snail or two
Your 5.5 gallon tank is too small for that many snails.

Most reactions

Back