Lazy Mudskipper ?

joshua969

Reaction score
I got a mudskipper last weekend and since he’s been in the tank, he hasn’t done much. He pretty much just perches himself on driftwood and sits there. He looks healthy and he’s eating well (he LOVES crickets). The only tankmates are a couple fiddler crabs and 4 swordtails in the water.

I plan on getting 2 more mudskippers this weekend, so he’ll have some friends. Do you think he’s just lonely ? I’m new to mudskippers, so I don’t know what their normal behavior is like.

Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated.

Make sure you don't overfeed your fish! When they're fat, they don't move about much...

Richard Mleczko, in my opinion the mudskipper guru, warns against using crickets because they can cause digestive problems. This has been reported from other fish, too. Seems the black ones are particularly bad. In any case, do remember these are omnivores, and a good varied diet is critical.

Mudskippers certainly don't need "friends". The males are very territorial, and unfortunately most species cannot be sexed. Be warned: male Periophthalmus barbarus for example will kill anything else kept with them. Smaller 'skippers tend to be less aggressive, and Richard advocates overcrowding them somewhat to prevent any single male becoming a territory holder (cf. mbuna).

Cheers, Neale

Thanks for the reply Neale. I've read in a couple places about them eating crickets, but wasn't sure. I have a myriad of freeze-dried/dry/frozen food I can use to ensure a varied diet.

I wasn't sure how active these guys were, so I thought I would ask. He isn't much for excercise, but he seems to love staring at the cats when they're near the tank :unsure:

This sounds good. Mudskippers should be alert and interested in what's going on around them. Gently interacting with them, for example placing food on the palm of your (wet) hand, is precisely the sort of thing that keeps them happy. You might also try putting a mirror at one end of the tank (for short periods) to see what it makes of its reflection.

Cheers, Neale

He isn't much for excercise, but he seems to love staring at the cats when they're near the tank :unsure:

Maybe I'll see if he takes freeze-dried bloodworms from my hand tonight. Good idea on the mirror.

I'm amazed at how well he blends into the environment. I'll walk by the tank and not see him right away, then notice his little eyes above the water line.

Most reactions

Back