Lava Rock

cedyced

Reaction score
I have some really light, airy, pumuce type lava rock. I want to know if it will seed if I put it in the tank with my LR?

No.

To make new live rock you need to have rock with a calcium base. You can use dead coral, fossilized coral, or make your own from argonite and cement, but nothing (but some algae) with ever grow on lava rock.

Sorry to take over the thread but, will dead rock become live w/o ever being with LR?

sorry and thanks

I was just wondering because the whole state of Hawaii grew on lava rock. :D

Sorry to take over the thread but, will dead rock become live w/o ever being with LR?

sorry and thanks

Yes, I have some base rock that has became LR. I took about 8 months to seed.

I was just wondering because the whole state of Hawaii grew on lava rock. :D

sorry and thanks

Yes, I have some base rock that has became LR. I took about 8 months to seed.

Well, I guess on geologic scales you could turn lava rock into live rock. But you'd need to wait until a calcium shell deposited on the lava rock before anything worthwhile happened biologically. In effect you're not making the lava rock live rock then - you're depositing live rock onto lava rock. :D

I think you misinterpreted Betta5. I think he/she was asking if dead rock can turn into live rock in a tank with no live rock in it.

If you had live sand, I'd say yes. Withuout it - you might get bacteria colonies developing in your rock regardless, but it's probably never going to get (any good) algae, or all the wonderful critters.

Ya, Ced.....

He's a reef noob anyway......what a dumb question.

I guess I should clear up that I work with him...well, actuall I am his boss. ROFL :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Oh, and that 55 Gallon has been "in the works" for about 5 years......

GodMadeDirt, why are you even in the saltwater forum? That would require you to put salt in your tanks. The last I checked you were still a saltwater virgin.. :lol:

GodMadeDirt, why are you even in the saltwater forum? That would require you to put salt in your tanks. The last I checked you were still a saltwater virgin.. :lol:

You must want to work some weekends!!!! "Assistant to the Director" :angry: :angry:

ROFL...Actually the mods on this forum asked me to come here and keep your nub questions to a minimum. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Most reactions

Back