Reaction score
Taken yesterday.

Attachments

• tank_sm.jpg
    tank_sm.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 31
TOTM FROM ME TOO!!!!!!

I envy you EddieW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :grr: :grr: :D :D

How many gallons is that too? - Just looks quite big for a nano to me :)

Thanks for all the nominations.

The tank is a Fluval Duo 600 which is 60cm x 35cm x 35cm (24" x 14" x 14") which is a bit over 70 litres (20 gal US/17 UK gal). I have replaced the stock light fitting (2 x 15w) with an over tank luminaire with 2 x 36w power compact.

To give you an idea of the size the spray bar running across the top back is 18mm (0.7") in diameter.

The filtration is currently two Fluval 104 external cannister filters - these each add about 5 litres (1 gal) to the overall water column, so strictly speaking the tank is just about the 20 gal limit for nanos :D One of the cannisters has some polyfilter in it which gets changed for carbin every so often, the other is for circulation only.

I will be adding a CPR Bak-Pak2R as soon as it arrives - had to special order it as there is not much nano equipment in the UK yet.

Cheers, Eddie

EddieW said:
Thanks for all the nominations.

The tank is a Fluval Duo 600 which is 60cm x 35cm x 35cm (24" x 14" x 14") which is a bit over 70 litres (20 gal US/17 UK gal). I have replaced the stock light fitting (2 x 15w) with an over tank luminaire with 2 x 36w power compact.

To give you an idea of the size the spray bar running across the top back is 18mm (0.7") in diameter.

The filtration is currently two Fluval 104 external cannister filters - these each add about 5 litres (1 gal) to the overall water column, so strictly speaking the tank is just about the 20 gal limit for nanos :D One of the cannisters has some polyfilter in it which gets changed for carbin every so often, the other is for circulation only.

I will be adding a CPR Bak-Pak2R as soon as it arrives - had to special order it as there is not much nano equipment in the UK yet.

Cheers, Eddie
Thanks for the info, I am in the process of understanding the technology behind saltwater tanks. A few more questions:

I think I have heard of that Bak-Pak2R, is that a hang on protien skimmer?

Also, is it a good idea to have the cannister filters and the protein skimmer?

and is it hard to install the canisters?

*drools* Wow that is beautiful!!!!!!I hope one day i can have a saltwater and I hope it looks like yours....*still drooling*

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ryansfish5g,

Yep - Bak-Pak 2R is a HOB protien skimmer. It arrived last week but I haven't got around to setting it up just yet. It looks a bit too big for the 20 so I am going to wait for a similar unit I am having made up in Canada and shipped over. If that is a bit smaller I might put the Bak-Pak on my 45 gallon freshwater if (or when) it goes marine.

I used the canister filters to provide water flow as I already had them from the freshwater setup. As I am using live rock to provide the biological filtration I don't use any media in them apart from carbon occasionally. It would probably have been easier to use powerhead apart from the loss of space inside the tank.

I have always found externals reasonably easy to fit. The first thing to decide on is where the intake and outlet pipes are going to be positioned - which might be dictated by your hood. Once you have that work out a good place for the body of the canister filter - some aquarium stands/cabinets have cutouts at the back to allow the hoses to feed into a cupboard. I tend to position the units either to one end of the tank or just to the front to allow for easy access when cleaning, but that is just a personal preference.

Angel_lover,

Thanks for the comments :) With the new technology coming out it is getting easier than ever to keep marines, but the most important thing is to read, read and read again everything you can find on the subject. Then make sure you have plenty of money as it is not cheap :S

Cheers, Eddie

Most reactions

Back