Laterite

Tomasz

Reaction score
I take delivery tomorrow of a 100L cube.

With it I am getting some laterite, the question is, how much do I use? its a 22oz bag, however I get the impression thats quite a lot?

Could anyone suggest how much to use please?

Thanks

T

Thanks for the replies, I have had planted tanks before, but this is the first time I have used laterite in tank, I have a few more questions....

1. Will play sand be ok baring in mind I am going to plant it? I have used proper sand ie db trading sand before without a problem, I assume it will be ok?

2. The tank dims are 400x460x489h, its got 2x18w T5 lights at 10k, the tank is designed for a nano reefs really, but I am going to use it for fresh water. Would you suggest diy c02 or excel? I use a bottle of C02 on my main tank, but have never planted a small tank like this.

3. Any one any suggestions on plants for a tank like this? I see another call to Andy at Greenline coming on, water is average to soft and 40% ro

Thanks

T

Thanks for the replies, I have had planted tanks before, but this is the first time I have used laterite in tank, I have a few more questions....

1. Will play sand be ok baring in mind I am going to plant it? I have used proper sand ie db trading sand before without a problem, I assume it will be ok?

2. The tank dims are 400x460x489h, its got 2x18w T5 lights at 10k, the tank is designed for a nano reefs really, but I am going to use it for fresh water. Would you suggest diy c02 or excel? I use a bottle of C02 on my main tank, but have never planted a small tank like this.

3. Any one any suggestions on plants for a tank like this? I see another call to Andy at Greenline coming on, water is average to soft and 40% ro

Thanks

T

I didn't have enough coffee today, are those dimensions in mm? And if my conversions are correct the tank is approx 20g, give or take? The 10k light will grow plants fine. Some say that kelvin temp is an algae magnet, but I've not had that experience. I personally find, however, that I don't like the glare at all and it washes out plants, but that's just me. My preferences are 6700K or 7100k and will either only use those or I'll mix it up and use either with a 10000k if that's all I have. I have one system running that way now. I'm guessing if I'm right you've got about ~1.6WPG which isn't certainly isn't very much but more than adaquate to have a lovely scape. My signature has a list of many plant species that will do well with that lighting. That you have soft water is a bonus. My water is liquid rock.

Assuming that your lighting is at that level, CO2 injection is really up to you. Right now, my specialty is low-light systems. I run two with CO2 injection (a Nutrafin canister with a DIY mix) and I run my nanos without it. Excel works well, but take into consideration that some plants (Egeria, Altenantera, and HM) could melt if Excel is used.

I've seen people here use play sand. I personally don't like sand, especially when I'm going to plant a lot of heavy root feeders (crypts, swords) as sand tends to compact and starve the roots of these plants of the circulation they need. I find they do better with a very fine-grade gravel (it is very nearly sand, really, but slightly bigger). But it's up to you. Sand can look very lovely and you would be using in conjuction with laterite, which has been proven to be a winning combination. Eventually, the laterite will mix and rise to the top, which seems to bug the sand people.

I personally love laterite. It, mixed with a fine-grade gravel, forms one of the most affordable and efficient plant substrates. I've achieved excellent results with it in both high-light and low-light setups and it is less expensive.

Can't wait to see pictures of this tank.

Thanks for the reply.

Im looking forward to setting this up, should be interesting.
This is the tank I am getting, althought its not from there.

Most reactions

Back