Large Rocks

squirrelrabbits

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I did a search through all forums on this but didn't really come up with anything, so here goes. My question is, where do people purchase large rocks (something for a 75G+)? I have looked in all my local stores that have garden centers (home depot, menards, lowes, even walmart, etc) and while they carry bricks and paving stones, nobody carries just plain old roundish rocks. The LFS sells some but they are not so big and they are wildly expensive. Any ideas?

My local garden centre sells large rounded stones about as big as your head for about £3 each and large lumps of slate for a little less.

go to the beach, usually rocks from there are okay for tanks, just rinse and boil to remove all the salt.

same here scottish cobbles are a good size at 17p per kg, slate is 21p a kg...and 10% discount for me...wooo!!

it's a garden centre with a agregates yard.

Another option would be to call local landscaping companies, companies that actually special in rock and gravel. They might be able to sell you something.

I get mine from landscaping outfits. Cheapest price, some are bigger than will fit in your tank.

Tolak

I would agree about the landscaping places. i have a place here in my city caled Benson Stone Company. They do fireplaces, and anything that has to do with, you guessed it, stone. They also sell the pieces alone to, I believe.

I go to the river (Plenty in Oregon) and it has big rocks, small rocks, medium rocks. Ok you get my point :lol:

I'm hoping to nick some rocks when we go to Wales. There's this beach with the most fantastic rocks, all perfectly oval shaped, loads of different sizes...

i got the slate from B&Q ( a home shop in the UK)
and i got the rocks in the goldfish tank from the beach

i just find them in my backyard, wash them off, boil them, and then do the old vinegar test to see if they have calcium in it which could kill your fish. If the vinegar doesnt bubble then in the tank it goes.

Local hills are full of chunks of granite and slate as big as you can carry :D

do some gardening for someone. I did it on the weekend and got some granite and some caithness slate for my tank. just boil them in water and vinegar and scrub them.

Most reactions

Back