Large Oscar Tank Mates?

DopeyAlex

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post in a long time. Have been focused on marine lately. Hope you've all been well.

Well basically, I have a 12inch and a 6in tiger oscars living together at the moment. But thats all whats in the tank, besides 3 tiny bistle-noses. They all seem ok with each other. I think the bistle-noses are simply too fast for the oscars. I need a cleaning crew in there asap though, but im not sure what will be able to survive with the 12in oscar. Any surgestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

As has been said, it depends on the tank size, but if you have a 12" oscar and a second one, i'm going to ASSUME it is quite large :p

Normally I'd suggest a groups of clown loaches and/or silver dollars, but buying larger ones straight up can be quite costly... it also depends what you define as 'large' :shifty:

If you want something similar in size to the oscars look into other large medium agression American cichlids like the Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis) - [URL="http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/f...hoccichlid.html"]http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/f...hoccichlid.html[/URL]

I can't really suggest anything else that is 'large' other than plecos that won't be a pain to find :good:

Jack Dempsys are a good addition, Silver Dollers, Jaguar Cichlid, these all work out with an Oscar

*Silver Dollers need to be kept in groups of 6+

Thanks very much guys. So basically, all sized clown loaches and plecs I could have. Could I have any cichlid in the tank as long as they were 6in+? The tank is around 280l

Thanks very much guys. So basically, all sized clown loaches and plecs I could have. Could I have any cichlid in the tank as long as they were 6in+? The tank is around 280l

ANY cichlid is a bit presumptuous :p It's a bit of hit and miss with adding cichlids to oscar tank I think, depends what nature your oscars are. If you would be adding more, only add larger sized Americans (Chocolate, Jack Dempsey etc.) :good:

I would say you can add at most, another 30" of fish to your current set-up,

examples of cleaning crews could be: Large CAE's, plecs, pictus/pimelodella catfish, Bumblebee catfish, clown loach.
cichlid possibilities can include, Jack Dempsey, 1 Male Convict, 2 Firemouths

examples of cleaning crews could be: Large CAE's, plecs, pictus/pimelodella catfish, Bumblebee catfish, clown loach.

his tank is about 60 gallons so theres no way he could have another 30" of fish.

most people will tell you 75 gallons is the minimum for one oscar so your already pushing it with 2 and i wouldnt add anything else.

to clean them out you need a good gravel vac, not more fish :good:

his tank is about 60 gallons so theres no way he could have another 30" of fish.

most people will tell you 75 gallons is the minimum for one oscar so your already pushing it with 2 and i wouldnt add anything else.

to clean them out you need a good gravel vac, not more fish :good:

Agreed :/

The Oscars will have to be moved to a larger tank if you are thinking of keeping them together once they have grown to adult size. They grow to almost half a metre and although slow-growing will eventually look rather uncomfortable in 60 gallons of water.

Are you hoping to obtain a larger tank for them? If so, I have always thought common catfish seem an excellent companion for large Oscars.

Regards,
Paul

Thanks for the help all.

I have a couple of 8in clowns in another tank of mine, so I will put them with the oscar. I will prob get a couple of catfish and a couple of plecs. Can any1 surgest the best ones to get for the job???

I will look into the cichlids. I like the jack dempseys, convicts and the jaguar lol. I will only get one tho.

I currently have 3 tropical tanks (all 3ft+) and a marine tank, but I will eventually get a larger tank for the oscars.

Thanks, Alex

p.s. Will post a pic up soon.

Spend your money on a larger tank not more fish then...They won't grow to adult size if you put other fish in.Clowns plecs and other cichlids will just add to the poop, meaning more work for you and ill fish! :rolleyes:

maybe convicts firemouths or red devils
60gallon with 2 Oscars and a Red Devil :crazy:
The Red Devil will soon sort-out your over stocked problem,
the Ocsars will be MUTILATED!

grimmy , did I see somewhere you had an adult oscar in the 29G :blink:

as said 75G is the recommended tank size for "ONE!" oscar
125G is the recommended tank size for "TWO!" oscars
55G female 75G male is the recommended tank size for "ONE!" red devil

>>>but that said the pinned OSCAR thread is saying a 3foot tank for 1 Oscar or a 4foot for 2 with a depth of 18inches<<<

so having 2 oscars clown loach and a psycho red devil?
HECK just get a male Dovii and a few Pacu as well :rolleyes:

So basically, all sized clown loaches and plecs I could have. Could I have any cichlid in the tank as long as they were 6in+? The tank is around 280l

you could put any sized catfish/loaches in your tank BUT Oscars are well known for eating what ever will fit in there mouths, I would not recommend putting small fish of any kind with Oscars.

you could put any compatible 6inch cichlids with large Oscars, it HAS been done but I would not recommend puting Africans with them, simply because of there needs, but also if you put some 6inch Cichlids in with you Oscars then your Oscars could be in for the beeting of there lives (fish like Dovii, Midas/Red Devil, Flower Horns, Tri-mac, Red Terror) maby not at first but it will happen in a 60G tank.

Most reactions

Back