Large Fish (10" minimum) for 180 Gallon?

I think everyone knows that water travels in pipes...

And yes, call to ask what his GH is.
It just seems like you've jumped in without seeing the context of the discussion. Treestone states that he wouldnt really trust the water supplier's figures as he finds that once the water has travelled the distance to his home, the numbers are no longer valid. The OP should find out their GH, yes.

Well, there are about 10 water supplies where I live, my water supply originates 10 km away. So in short, the tap water parameters vary massively over areas. The tap water in town tastes like your licking metal. Anyway, the council recording of my water from the area treated is 6.2 pH and around 2dgh. Over that 10 km distance, it has gone from 6.2 to 7.8-8.2 depending on the time of year, the GH tells a similar story. I think that has been impacted significantly from the pipes that lead up to the house from the water treatment shed and/or from standing in a water tank for long periods of time.

View attachment 110972
Just for reference
For reference colorado the state i used as comparison to New Zealand is a bit over 104,000 square miles NZ is a little over 103,000 square miles.
I loved living in NZ,Where abouts in NZ are you?

For reference colorado the state i used as comparison to New Zealand is a bit over 104,000 square miles NZ is a little over 103,000 square miles.
I loved living in NZ,Where abouts in NZ are you?

Top of the South, bet you're regretting moving out of NZ.

@PheonixKingZ Is your water pretty similar to the council testing because that's great if it is.

Top of the South, bet you're regretting moving out of NZ.

@PheonixKingZ Is your water pretty similar to the council testing because that's great if it is.
I lived there back in 1995 to 1997 i was on a work visa. But yes i miss it.

Ive lived in 3 different states while ive had fish tanks and in each state the tap water has matched the county or city water report. Its not exact but close.
That ones water would be vastly different from ones county/city water report as in your case is as i said before the exception not the rule.
I use RO water though so i dont have to worry whats in my water as i know whatever i put in it is whats in it and nothing else.

GH is the measurement of calcium and magnesium in your water. Usually your county water web site will express this in ppm sometimes DGH.
To convert ppm to DGH divide by 17.9.
So 300 ppm would =16.7 dgh which would be hard water.
Some fish need hard water some soft.
If the water report doesnt give you dgh or ppm then look at calcium ppm and magnesium ppm if listed add them together and divide by 17.9
If your PH is around 8 then your GH is most likely high in which case id recommend African cichlids. If the water is soft id recommend South or Central American Cichlids.
Either way for the size fish and tank you have id go to the cichlid forum on here and look around.
Sorry, thought I responded earlier. But my PH is around 7.5

Most reactions

Back