Laminate Floors And Fish Tanks

blue acara

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm moving into a new place next week that im going to be decorating. I'm thinking about having laminate wood flooring in the living room where I will also have a couple of fish tanks. I know that water can damage this type of flooring and with 2 fish tanks in the room there will be some spillage. I would clean up water spills but obviously I wouldnt want a new expensive floor ruined when I could just get carpet.

Does anyone have experiance with fish tanks on laminate wood floor? Cheers

I'm moving into a new place next week that im going to be decorating. I'm thinking about having laminate wood flooring in the living room where I will also have a couple of fish tanks. I know that water can damage this type of flooring and with 2 fish tanks in the room there will be some spillage. I would clean up water spills but obviously I wouldnt want a new expensive floor ruined when I could just get carpet.

Does anyone have experiance with fish tanks on laminate wood floor? Cheers

Hi, with smaller tanks I have never had a problem if spillages are mopped up before they have chance to soak into the joins. Other than than spillage the only concern is weight(depending on size of tank). By chance we happened upon bathroom/ kitchen laminate that is resistant to moisture as well. It is a little more expensive but we have found it excellent. I recommend looking at the clearance lines at Homebase. Although they are more expensive than B and Q etc when they reduce things, they really reduce it! I have found in the past (to my mums expense) that carpets soak up water which will smell over time!

Hi.

Laminate flooring is fine with just surface water. I spill all the time and have wet dogs coming and going. It is fine as long as it doesn't soak into the sublayers. spillage here and there wiped up is fine. A major tank failure could definitely damage the flooring. But I love my laminate flooring.

Hi, I think that laminate flooring is much better than carpets, as the water doesn't soak in. If you get the ones designed for bathrooms that are ok for drips then you'll be fine. i have a 210l tank in my room with laminate flooring, and have on occasion spilt about 1 litre of water onto the floor with no ill effects (dodgy siphon).

cheers :good:

Laminate is less expensive than hard wood and it is less expensive than cork, but it looks very nice and it is a good choice. I am going to do the same thing in the room that I have my two tanks this 2011 summer, but of course I'll put a rubber mat in front of the aquariums in case there is a spill when I am doing a water change.

my 100 gallon is on hardwood and i spilled about 10l the other week and spill abit quite often and its fine as long as it doesn't sit there long enough to seep through

My 400l is on laminate, and i've had a lot of spills! It's much easier to clean surface water off laminate, put a towel down before you do water changes to be on the safe side

Im the same as bae and have 400 litre salt tank on laminate, i'm always spiliing water, hence far, no problems

Seffie x

I have 2 tanks on laminate which has been subjected to water spillage, causing no problems.

keith.

Thanks for all your input guys. I love the look of laminate and the fact that u can spill something like wine (something ive done on carpet) and its easy to clean. Laminate it is then!

Additional Q's... anyone have expeniance with fitting laminate, is it hard to do? tips? lol Peace

watched my parents do it and it didn't look that hard :lol:

Most reactions

Back