Labidochromis Caeruleus Is "flashing" Like It Has Ich - But

It's a common misconception that is very understandable - in most other areas of fishkeeping, this behaviour would almost certainly indicate a problem. It just concerns me when assumptions are made that the cause is illness and potentially harmful advice is given based on this.

all my cichlids flick, and have done eversince I have had them, every website says the same, that its natural behaviour. I have had them now for near on a year and never experienced any problems, so I now know this to be true. I think messing with your water parameters too much and adding too many additives can mess up your whole system that you spent so long tyring to achieve in the first place, in my book if its not broke dont fix it.

Everyone appears to be missing the obvious - flashing is typical Mbuna behaviour.

Perfectly normal and usually attributed to territorial activity, part of a mating ritual or simply showing off. :rolleyes:

It's a common misconception that is very understandable - in most other areas of fishkeeping, this behaviour would almost certainly indicate a problem. It just concerns me when assumptions are made that the cause is illness and potentially harmful advice is given based on this.

Yeah, finally, the voice of reason has returned. :hey:

thanks everyone for the comments... it's been helpful and worrying in equal doses! :)

my water parameters are :
temperature : 78 - 80C
pH : 7.5
ammonia : 0.0
nitrite : 0.0
i need to replace my nitrate kit and will do so later this week.

other than pH - what should i be most concerned with for a cichlid. i've never tested for hardness/softness. should i begin to?

while i have been growing increasingly concerned that i maybe shortening the lifespan of these wonderful fish - i have thought all along that the flashing was the cichlid's way of 'claiming' the shale rocks at the centre of the tank and am comforted to hear ferris and dthoftsett suggest that this is normal cichlid behaviour. thanks! i will keep an eye out for any other changes though with the two cichlids, along with any of the other fish.

one of the previous posters had inquired as to the health of the tetras and the loaches - they seem to be in fine form. the loaches are as 'goofy' as ever and the tetras dart-about the mid-region like they always have. the gouramis are in good condition as well - quite robust and very social with each other and with the loaches. they have no use for the tetras or cichlids, however!

You can test your hardness if you like, however, as long as your PH is stable, I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as your PH goes, I'd say it's the perfect compliment to all the fish you are keeping, and it really shouldn't affect their lifespans. A stable PH is far more important than achieving the "perfect" level.

Most reactions

Back