Kuhli's

Akasha

Reaction score
:fun: HEHE

I think my kuhli's are up the duff
cos they are getting mighty damb fat. with the tell tale dark/green bellies

andyone had any experience with them breeding in captivity before?

Kuhlis have been breed in captivity although it is not common it is certainly possible. The breeding tank should be at least 10gallons and ideally the water should be soft, like South East Asia has soft water, these conditions are likely to trigger spawning. ph is some what less important and a neutral pH of 7.0 is fine.

Kuhli's like plenty of cover, try to have caves, hiding places where the Kuhlis can group together and hide. I believe that amounts of plant litter on the tank floor also helps to replicate their natural surroundings and may also have an affect on spawning. Sand substrate is best to allow them to hide and bury at their own will. A pair of fish will then hopefully emerge and spawn in the plants and around the tank by scattering their eggs. The Green eggs are usually laid around thirty at a time and the fish repeat spawning several times until the females eggs are all used. The parents should then be removed after spawning. The incubation period of the eggs is about 24 hours, you should feed the fry on newly hatch brine shrimp. Then you can move on to live and frozen Bloodworms which may need to be cut up in the early stages. :)

Alright

so they are in a 60Ltr hexigan tan along with some royal whiptails and borneo suckers (hillstreem loaches).

This tank is specifically setup for the above fish. it has a high oxygen level with rapid water movement.

rock and plants a plenty to accommodate the kuhli's with java moss throughout the bottom.
Fine sand covering the bottom.
that bit is all fine

Catching them to move them is a different story......... (not gonna happen)
there is about 12 of them fun and games.

what i want to know is personal accounts.

At the lfs, they have a tube in the kuhli tank and they all hide in it so when they need to catch them they just put a net either side and tip up the tube :D .

Most reactions

Back