Krib Fry

TJimbson

Reaction score
Hello All,

So I've been away for the weekend while the parents have been feeding the fish. I come back to 50+ Krib fry, free swimming, being marched around the tank by their parents. All seems too good to be true.

Any words of advice? What should I feed these guys? The tank is a heavily planted 120 litre with hatchets and tetras so no immediate threat.

Thanks

Hello All,

So I've been away for the weekend while the parents have been feeding the fish. I come back to 50+ Krib fry, free swimming, being marched around the tank by their parents. All seems too good to be true.

Any words of advice? What should I feed these guys? The tank is a heavily planted 120 litre with hatchets and tetras so no immediate threat.

Thanks
Hi there,its a fantastic sight,the kribs swim side by side or one in front and one watches the back its amazing,this happened to me about 6 years ago and stupid me noticed them at 1am in the morning but what did i do,i forget to turn the filter off,it was a fluval 4 internal at the time and they all got sucked into it,i opened up the filter to see if any were alive or still in the filter cartridge but i didnt find any of the little chaps,i felt like a murderer for weeks maybe months after!!! so take the right precautions,good luck!!! you might find the following link helpful...http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/kribensis.php

Thanks Aqua the article was insightful. I think Im going to pop to the lfs store tomorrow to see what fry food I can get. Otherwise there's plenty of hiding places and plant debris in the tank for these guys to feed on.

Regarding the filter it seems pretty enclosed, with filter holes quite high up in the tank. My sand substrate covers the bottom. It came pre-built with the Juwel Lido but I'll have another check to make sure there's no threat.

The parents are veeery protective.

Thanks!

My light just came on just 5 minutes ago and I'm now in the club to :hyper: . It's a magical sight watching the parents look after the fry.
I have 1 question though. I've read that you feed the fry newly hatched brine shrimp, would that be available frozen from my LFS?
Also how do I feed? is it a case of just dropping it into the tank and hoping the fry get their share?

All advice greatly welcome

Very, very, finely crushed flake is ok to feed to fry for the time being. Liquifry is meant to be pretty good as it`s miniscule and ideal for fry to feed on :good:

Very, very, finely crushed flake is ok to feed to fry for the time being. Liquifry is meant to be pretty good as it`s miniscule and ideal for fry to feed on :good:

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The fry are in my community tank, I'm guessing if I put in some crushed flake they will get their share?

If you put a pinch of the finely crushed flake in with one hand and the normal food in with the other hand (at the same time), you`ll find that the other fish will go for the bigger food and will probably ignore the tiny bits :good:

Most reactions

Back