Koralias Very Noisy?

rl1oyd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What the F***K? Just switched my 3 koralia 5's on they are brand new, and there very loud, like a horrible loud humming/vibrating noise?
Iv unplugged them all one by one and there all slightly doing it but together just horrible?
Please tell me this is some weird thing to do with them being new?
So pi**ed off the mrs says she wants them turned off and i cant blame her

never had that issue when i had three running in my tank

That's really strange. I had Koralia 3's and they were virtually silent.

I'd carefully remove the front part and check to ensure that the impeller shaft is firmly in place, check to see if there is anything in the impeller shaft chamber that shouldn't be there and then reassemble them. It might be that the impeller is having trouble deciding which way it wants to turn and so is just oscillating back and forth.

If its still making a noise after re-assembling them, I'd take them back to the store. The impellers might be faulty and someone else might have returned them with the same problem.

Be careful when you reassemble them though, as the ceramic shafts on these things can be quite brittle.

ill see what there like in the morning. Iv taken every thing off the top of the tank. Still vibrating, lifted the lid off still vibrating. Turned one off them off still not really bearable, they seem to be vibrating the glass or something? Its an expensive tank to not like a cheap crapy thing? When you switch them on and off they stick and have to unplug them and plug them back in few times to get them going? Hope they are like half as loud in the morning

I fitted a new Koralia 5 two weeks ago and it was noisy from causing vibrations on the glass. Thankfully it has got a lot quieter.

I actually used a filter pad on the outside of the tank between the glass and the magnet for the first week to dampen the noise.

Air trapped in them can also cause noise/vibration issues - maybe worth holding them vertical in the tank (turned off!) and shaking them to try and dislodge any trapped air.

Thanks for all the replys guys :good:
Sounds daft but my mate is a mechanic and he is totally confused by them? Seems everything I buy I have a problem with :crazy:
If i take them off the grey stick/magnet that holds them on, they are totally silent, as soon as you go near it, it doesnt even need to be pushed on they start making a horrible vibrating/buzzing noise? very loud Its like something to do with the magnets?
One of them is 5 times worse and i need to switch off cos it is unbearable! :angry:
I have taken them apart in and out of the water shook them etc no different?!
As a couple of you say they will bed in, you experienced any of this? The buzzing is doing my head in as I type I need to go to bed I think to escap[e the noise!!

It is very unusual to get noisy Koralias, it is true some are slighty noisier to start with and bed in but not 'that noisy! You mentioned that they get stuck and and you have to start them again, that shouldn't happen - are they brand new, if so might be a faulty batch, I would ask for an exchange :good:

What size tank have you got, three k5 is a lot of flow?

Seffie

ps apologies that i don't remember your tank size duhhh

Yes I think they are faulty, one of them is fine makes a slight humming noise which as its a motor i can appreciate it will make some noise, but the other two one is noisy and one is unbearable so I have had to remove it
I have sent the supplier an email, ebay supplier with over 6500 sales and 99.9% feedback so hopefully should be ok. Covered with paypal anyway.
When I ordered the 3 he only had 2 in stock and sent me those and a 3rd followed, im presuming the one I have that is ok must be from a different batch?
My tank is 720litres so I worked out I would need three?

My tank is 720litres so I worked out I would need three?

Thats a great sized tank :good:

So, with at the least turnover of x20 = 14400

3x K5 @ 6500 = 19500

Sounds good to me :good: what are your plans for the tank, would love to know :hyper:

Seffie x

Did you get them from Aquacadabra? if so you shouldn't have any problems

Aquacadabra yea lol
Fish only I have 100kg of live rock on its way Tuesday of a guy and I also reserved 50kg more off someone but maybe that is overkill?
Im PLANNING fingers crossed :rolleyes:
IV reserved a Black trigger from maidenhead, im after couple nice tangs puffer lion fish emp angel blue face angel
Subject to change but thats it more a less :good:

Aquacadabra yea lol
Fish only I have 100kg of live rock on its way Tuesday of a guy and I also reserved 50kg more off someone but maybe that is overkill?
Im PLANNING fingers crossed :rolleyes:
IV reserved a Black trigger from maidenhead, im after couple nice tangs puffer lion fish emp angel blue face angel
Subject to change but thats it more a less :good:

You need the min of approx 80 K for your tank, so the 100 k is good - I wouldn't get any more. too much is as bad as too little, you will not be able to get enough flow without having a hurrican in there

So you are having a FOWLR - cool, although I would miss not having corals

Love Triggers - do you have a sump? If not how are you going to protect the electrical cables in the tank - you know they have the potential to bite through them, don't you :crazy:

Tangs - ahhh ich central, do you have another tank to quarantine them or are your lfs going to do this for you, some will?

Puffer - oh, how I would love a porcupine, what do you fancy?

Lion Fish - scary but beautiful and often difficult to feed - ensure he is eating in the shop, ask to see!

Can't wait for the photos :good:

Seffie x

whoops, missed the Emp. Angel, one of my sister's fav. fish - lovely

and the blue faced, don't know anything about these - but sure Scott or Ben will :good:

hmm not sure on the cable thing i guess try and cover them with rock? I have a load of ocean rock so i can add bits in as needed. Ill just take the 100kg see how much it fills up.
I like porcupine puffer my girl friend prefers the stars and stripe puffer. Anyone know what the uk name is for that puffer? From what i can gather its not dog face?

hmm not sure on the cable thing i guess try and cover them with rock? I have a load of ocean rock so i can add bits in as needed. Ill just take the 100kg see how much it fills up.
I like porcupine puffer my girl friend prefers the stars and stripe puffer. Anyone know what the uk name is for that puffer? From what i can gather its not dog face?

You could try cable trunking - someone suggested that to me when I was thinking about a Trigger :good:

Latin Name, Arothron hispidus. Common Name, Stars and Stripes Puffer. Also known as, Hispid Puffer, Dogface Puffer.

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back