Koi Stocking

Oscarcichlid4

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am making a pond in my back yard. It will be a circular, with a ten foot diameter. 6 feet deep at the bottom. It will be roughly 3,000 gallons, probably a little less. (2,800 gallons maybe). I was wondering if I could put 7 koi in this pond, with their adult size considered when making a stocking plan. What is the max amount of koi I could put? (I don't intend to put the max in, I just want to see how under/overcrowded I am). Thanks :)

-Oscarcichlid4

Depends how large the Koi are, assuming they are medium sized (around 14") 7 or 8 will do great. :) When i was younger my parents had a 5,000 gallon with 15 koi that all hovered around 12", so I'd think your setup is fine

Is 7 your primary target number? Hmm but given that kois don't grow as fast as goldfishes do i guess you could get away with 7.

Yes 7 is my primary number, but if that is unhealthy I could do five. Will the koi grow past 12"-14" if I stock 7?

Hi stocking of your pond is greatly relative to the filtration you employ to handle fish bio load. As an example Oase size there filtration for koi allowing 3kg of fish per 1000litres, For example a Biotec 12 screenmatic is capable of maintaining clear water for decorative ponds up to 50000 litres, 25000litres for Goldfish and only 10000litres for Koi. To add to this Oase have a wide range of filtration available there website is www.oase-livingwater.com.
Hope this helps

Most reactions

Back