Kock Rock

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mothi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone use kock rock in external filters? Last week I got 3kg of kock rock and I've put around 1.5kg of it in one of my external filters. It seems like a good biological media used in pond systems. I think it will be good in external filters too but haven't seen or heard of anyone using it in externals.

If anyone has used these in externals please tell me how well you think it works compared to other biologial media. Thanks.

Sorry I've never heard of it but that's one of the most eye-catching titles I've seen on here!

In general, pond media tends to be cheap but with a lower surface area than the stuff you normally put in aquarium filters.  

You might be interested in alfagrog which is a cheap, effective biomedia (but can be a bit scratchy).

Hi thanks for the reply. Aparantly this stuff has a lot of surface area as it's made of sintered glass. I use other sintered glass media such as Biohome and Eheim Substrat Pro. Biohome and Eheim Substrat Pro are much smaller and lighter than Kock Rock. This stuff seems much more solid. I was thinking that it might be better at housing anaerobic bacteria?

All of this talk about various bio-media is sort of a waste of time. The reason I say that is a tank will pretty much develop as much bacteria as it needs even when this cannot be done in a filter alone. the bacteria need very little to be able to multiply. The will colonize any hard surface in a tank which meets a few basic simple requirements:

1. A hard surface on which to attach.
2. Minimal light - so they usually will be on the undersides and shaded surfaces.
3. Decent circulation to deliver a steady flow of nutrients.
4. Adequate oxygen..

The above conditions can be met by substrate, rocks, artificial decor and wood. They may even colonize parts of the glass.

Given these facts I am not sure how any hobbyist can state with almost any degree of certainty how much bacteria is located where in their tank, There is really only one issue that we can evaluate in this respect. That is whether any tank is either fully able to handle the nitrogen processing or it isn't. Either you have enough bacteria or you do not.

And this leaves out the contribution made by live plants for those that have them in a tank. The plants reduce the need for bacteria (up to a point).
In a tank with no plants bacteria will handle all the work. But even in a tank with heavy planting of varieties that use the most nutrients, there will still be some amount of bacteria at work.

Different bio-media can offer more or less surface area for bacteria in a filter and this will influence the potential for how much might colonize, however it does not guarantee in any way that all the bacteria or even most of it will be in a filter. There is a potential downside to using so called "high capacity biomedia" and that is the potential for it to become clogged. Whether its from a design standpoint, a maintenance standpoint or both, it can clog in parts and this means less live working bacteria. When this happens the bacteria will begin to multiply elsewhere in the tank to replace what is no longer in the media.

What does happen is that manufacturers make a big deal about their media offering the most surface area. How important this may be is another issue. For my part I use more sponges as media than anything else. They work great as they have for many decades in the hobby. But how much can one charge for a sponge vs fancy bio-media?

All this said, I am not telling anyone not to use any media, only what I see as going on in this regard. Using a more pricey bio-media with more surface area will not harm a thing and should work just fine. If you are a bit curious about all this, try doing a Google for "DIY bio-media for aquariums" and see what you find. :)

Like you, Daize, I just had to read this post...I was drawn to it somehow, but, admittedly I was disappointed when it turned out it was just about media :)

I agree with the sponge this, I like sponge stuff too, but surely there's an argument for 'lastability' here and therefore, value for money? For example, the (ahem) Kock Rock may be more expensive, but surely it would last longer than sponge, which, over time, can deteriorate. Similarly, ceramic rings should last much longer than most sponges. 

Thanks for replying Twotankamin. A lot of useful information there and I agree with what you are saying.

Bio media wont be very effective if it gets clogged up. I use mechanical media before the water reaches the bio media for all my filters. It helps a lot. I'm aware of diy media and have used some in the past. When space for bio media is limited, you can't go wrong with having some fancy media that have a lot of surface area.

I'm still curious if other people have used Kock Rock in external filters and their inputs.

It does look like just normal type media only spherical rather than perhaps the typical noodles or tubes, I can't imagine it not being any use. However it probably has less surface area than other types - spheres are the perfect shape to have the minimum surface area to volume ratio (that's why bubbles are the way they are!).

If it helps, I'd have no issues using it. It appears to be made of the same stuff (sintered glass) as a few other types of bio media. Looks good to me.

Thanks for replying fm1978. I just assumed that this stuff has a lot of surface area, maybe i read it somewhere but not sure.

Mothi said:
Thanks for replying fm1978. I just assumed that this stuff has a lot of surface area, maybe i read it somewhere but not sure.
Don't get me wrong, it will have plenty surface area, so don't worry about it. It'll be perfectly sufficient for your filter. 

Yeah you're right fm1978. Thanks. I shouldn't worry. It should be more than sufficient, especially since I have other bio media in the same filter plus two other filters for the same tank.

Most reactions

Back