Kissing Gourami

coloradogirl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. How much tank space would I need in order to have a Kissing Gourami? I was looking at those interesting fish when I was at the pet store and am wanting to get one.

They grow to at least 10" but can conceivably grow to a foot in length. A single one needs about 40 gallons when mature. However, if you plan to keep it in a community-style tank, a 55 would be best. There are also balloon kisssers which are the same species but rarely grow above 8". These are ok in a 30 gallon if kept alone. Again, the larger the tank the better - this is an absolute minnimum.

would a kissing fish grow that large in a ten or 20g tank?

I have one single kissing fish in a 10g(I know it's small, but I'll move him once I get a bigger tank) and he's only grown about .5 inch in about 6 mos. - again, will he reach 10 inches in that small of a tank?

Definitely if you keep up with water changes (which you certainly should). The fish should be in a much larger tank though and, if you can't move it ASAP, return it and get another when you can actually care for it because it's rather unfair keeping it in so inadequate a volume.

Most reactions

Back