Kissing Gourami Laying On Side - Help Please

Here are the pictures I promised!

They aren't the best I've ever seen, but they should be able to hopefully decipher some of this fish mystery!

**Please note the way that his back fin is somewhat stringy and how he is somewhat discolored!

Let me know, guys.

--Jim C.

dsc01321cf2.jpg

dsc01317ck1.jpg

**The brown stuff on his skin is slowly peeling away like a "somewhat fuzzy" scab type material.**

Any help? Suggestions?

They arent looking very good today. They both have this somewhat fuzzy clear material on their body. On the small gourami, it prevents him from swimming : /

Help please!

--Jim C.

Hey,
I'm really not good at this fish diagnosis thing, but I'll make a reasonably educated guess and say columnaris.
Scroll down and read the list of symptoms. I think it sounds right - http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/columnaris.htm

Here's the best pic I could come up with, for comparison purposes: http://www.fishjunkies.com/Diseases/columnaris.php

I recently had an outbreak of columnaris with my danios, but it was the "cotton mouth" variety. I tried Macyrn (sp?) 1&2, and that made it better, but didn't clear it up entirely. The fish are currently on the last day of their treatment with an antiboitic by API... I think Terramycin. The API antibiotics are WAY more expensive than Maceryn (I think i paid $7.99 for the Maceryn and $16 for the Terramycin) but I think the Terramycin's a little stronger. Not sure though; I'm anxious to take my fish out of the hospital tank when I get home and really look at them.

Oh, to answer your question about hardy fish ... danios are great. There are a couple people on the forum currently cycling with black skirted tetras in their tank (another word of warning - not all tetras are hardy though. Neons definitely are NOT). I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Also adding things that say they remove ammonia isnt the way to help your tank. All that does is help detoxify small amounts of ammonia by binding the few ammonium ions in your water into less toxic compounds. However the ammonia in your tank is both ammonia and ammonium, and while it may help with the ammonium, ammonia is a neutral compound and needs bacteria with a metablism to break down a stable molecule. If those bacteria aren't present in your tank, like in a new younger tank, they will need to build themselves up. In the meanwhile, constant water changes will be very neccessary to keeping the ammonia and nitrite levels down.

Well guys,

thanks for all your help thus far! Unfortunately, I lost the small Gourami last night and do not think that my 2.5 y/o one is going to make it, but I am trying my best.

I will keep you guys updated.

Once again, I would like to thank everyone who contributed what they could to expand my fish knowledge and help me out!!!

Peace out for now!

--Jim C.

Most reactions

Back