Killifish

webbie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just returned to fishkeeping after many years away,I was given a fluval edge as a xmas present,set it up this weekend,I was thinking of starting a Killifish tank,any suggestions from anyone on which species,how many could I keep in such a small tank[21 lts].

your tank may be a bit small for killifish, hopefully someone on the forum knows more about them.

If its 21 litres you can keep killifish (certain sp.) the problem will be keeping them in the tank as I think the Fluval brand you mention is open topped. You could of course use floating plants to deter this trait but its not 100% effective.
What species were you looking for
Regards
BigC

On fish lore it says you need a minimum of 10 gallons to keep killifish. I don't know if this is right though. Hope it helps.

If its 21 litres you can keep killifish (certain sp.) the problem will be keeping them in the tank as I think the Fluval brand you mention is open topped. You could of course use floating plants to deter this trait but its not 100% effective.
Regards
BigC
Thanks bigc the fluval edge is an enclosed tank,what species would you reccomend.

Regards
BigC
As BigC has said you can keep Killifish in the Fluval Edge. The Fluval Edge is not an open top aquarium so you wouldn't have a problem with that. There are only 2 species of Killifish that drop into my mind that should be suitable for your tank. The first species is the Clown Killifish. However it is extremely hard to keep, I've not had much success with them recently. :sad: The second, and IMO more suitable species is the Lampeye Killifish. It's much less sensitive than the Clown Killifish and can look great in a slightly dim tank. Note that the Lampeye Killifish are shoaling fish and should be kept in groups of 6 or more. The more the better as they will shoal tighter and become less shy. Clown Killifish should be kept in pairs or trios but no more than 2 males in the same tank.
BigC will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong :look:

Carl

Most reactions

Back