Kelvin Rating?

Mikaila31

Always Watching
Reaction score
I am planing to buy a new light for my 20gal high the light comes with a 65 watt 10,000k and a 65 watt 8800k. What is the difference between these two bulbs, and witch would be best to use?

thanks,
Mikaila31

The 10,000 is bluer in light spectrum, I personally would use the 8,800k out of the two, I use mainly all 6,500k bulbs on my tanks with a single colourmax mixed in with em, basically just to bring out the colours on my cardinals etc.

I am pretty green on algae vs k etc, green as in not really knowing not green thumb hehe. I have heard some say low k reds induce it other say high k blues. Others say its a moot point and basically a pref to your viewing pleasure. But I have never had any probs with 6,500. The only time I ever had much algae was early on my first planted 29g, and that was cased by to much light with not enough stable c02 and slight over fert dosing. Once I brought my c02 up and lowered my dosing it vanished right up.

I wouldn't use either, replace both for tubes designed for planted tanks, as MrWax says normally these are around 6500k. FYI blue tubes are really meant for marine corals as they promote algae growth, hence if you use blue tubes on a freshwater aquarium they promote algae as well :)

Sam

The K rating for a fluorescent tube tells us very little to if it's going to be of any good for a planted tank. I use a GE 9325K tube which is great for plant growth and miles better than any 6500K tube that I've tried. You need to look at the spectral output of a tube to get any idea to wether it is going to be any good for plants. Look for strong red and blue peaks. If in doubt go for an aquarium tube that is designed for plant growth and you won't go far wrong.

James

The K rating for a fluorescent tube tells us very little to if it's going to be of any good for a planted tank. I use a GE 9325K tube which is great for plant growth and miles better than any 6500K tube that I've tried. You need to look at the spectral output of a tube to get any idea to wether it is going to be any good for plants. Look for strong red and blue peaks. If in doubt go for an aquarium tube that is designed for plant growth and you won't go far wrong.

James
Hey James,

Where did you get your GE 9325K tube from? I thought they were US only.

Hey James,

Where did you get your GE 9325K tube from? I thought they were US only.

A ha, that's my little secret. Ah OK I'll let you in on it as well.

I get all my aquarium and household lights from Lampspecs. The link for the 10K tubes is http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/Aquarium-10000K. I've noticed that they've recently changed the 9325K to 10000K for some reason. Fantastic tubes in my opinion and give a great red to red plants as well as an electric blue to cardinals etc. They are in my opinion the best plant bulb you can buy but my not be to everybodies taste especially if you like bulbs with lots of green output.

James

So I take it they dont do the 9325k tubes any more then? I get the bulbs for our office from them, how did I miss those ones!

Sam

EDIT - or have the just changed the name? The bulb could still be the same I guess.

Most reactions

Back