Keith's New Tank

Ah well the best laid plans.......

I've just had a letter from my energy company saying if my energy use does not reduce over the next 12 months I will see a significant increase in my prices so it looks as though I will have to go low tech with this tank - no CO2 and less than 1.5 watts per gallon.

Are there any helpful suggestions and ideas please?

I have already ordered Diana Walstead's book from Amazon.

Well several months have passed so I guess its time for an update.

Having read Walstad and Griggs I have gone low tec with 114 watts of light, no filter and no CO2. I bought 200 Hygros to start with and when I started my 6' tank I removed half of them and cut the rest in half to go with the two collections I bought from Greenline Aquatics. I then got some crypts and some Marsilea for the foreground and then last week I fell in love with a piece of Alabama Swamp wood which I added. Both stands of wood now have ferns attached.

While I was soaking the new wood I noticed that it was staining the bath but decided that I liked the colour of the water so took it out and put it straight into the tank. Covering the back of the tank with black plastic bags and letting the tannins stain the water has produced what I find a very pleasing feeling and shows off the 36 neons very well. I have added some Egeria cuttings from the other tank and have cut down the hygros in an attempt to make them bushy and intend to just wait to see what happens. Someone gave me some yellow cabomba but I may take that out.

That's it for now.

Any criticisms and ideas would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 26.6.07.jpg
    26.6.07.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3602.jpg
    IMG_3602.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi Keith, i thing you are doing a good job so far, but my guess is you will eventually go over to co2 and higher lighting because i think you will want to try defferent plants and different scapes, all the best john :)

Thanks John that's encouraging.

I very much doubt I will ever use CO2 and I have just downgraded my lighting to cut down the leccy bill. According to Rex Grigg with my set up and adding 1/8 tsp NO3, 1/16 tsp PO4 and 1/4tsp Equilibrium per 20 gallons I should be able to grow most any plant.

Love the wood, wood like that is hard to find, it should make for a quality scape.

Sam

Yes Sam.

I went down to Taunton Aquarium Centre last week with a friend and the first thing I saw when I walked in was this 3' cube, empty except for the wood and I fell instantly in love - I had no idea of how I would use it but knew I just had to have it.

Good good, I always buy wood and rocks if they look good, I know decent bits are hard to find and you always find a use for them in one tank or an other! :lol:

Sam

PS - if you ever find you dont want it, can I have first refusal on buying if from you? :shifty:

Hi,

Another three months have passed so I thought it was time for an update.

IMG_4892.jpg

I would be grateful for any comments but I must say I like the tank as it is.

I occasionally trim the hygro and a stand of Egeria I planted on the left has just melted.

No water changes so far.

17.2.08.jpgAnother three months gone so time for a picture.

I have bought six Cherry Red shrimps and three of the females have produced young which is exciting. I have also added five Crystal Reds.

As there have been no comments on my last picture and I was not very pleased with it anyway
I have replaced it. Comments an suggestions welcome.

It is beautiful!
I have to say, I like it as is, so I wouldn't change anything. I am surprised your neons haven't taken advantage of the young cherry shrimp. You haven't had any missing lately.... ? :D

Thanks for the reply Monica - I am glad you like it.

Being so tightly packed with plants from front to back it is impossible to know how many babies there are. I can only see them when they walk among the ferns but I have to admit that I have only ever counted 10 on view at any one time which is surprising. I suspect a proportion of them do get eaten but now there always seems to be a new brood every few days.

Most reactions

Back