Keeping Ph Down

laxation

Reaction score
Lately my tank has had PH of about 7.4-7.5, and I think it's the substrate. I have Richgro playsand from Bunnings (hardware store), which I read online was inert so wouldn't change the PH.
I just tested then in small containers, my tap water is about 7.2, and the container with playsand did raise the ph.

Outside of changing the substrate, is there anything that can be done to lower ph? I have Aqua-pics KH powder which is supposed to leave it at 7.0, but it also raises hardness so I don't want to keep adding that everyday!
I also have some PH down stuff from a PH test kit, so I could use that.

Will the PH down stuff work temporarily or is it a good way to lower ph?
I have a piece of mopani driftwood that is going in soon, does that lower ph enough? LFS said it does, but I havn't heard that anywhere else.

Why would you want to lower your pH? Mines at 8.2 and a lot of other peoples on here is around the 8 mark. The pH uppers and downers are quite difficult to use, if used at all. Its more about the stableness of the pH and not what the pH is anyway. If its varying day to day then you would have to use something like crushed coral, I think it is anyway, in the filter to increase the buffering (hardness) capabilities, otherwise dont mess with it unless you want a species tank with delicate soft water fish. Yes also the drift wood would bring it down a bit but not much and I think bogwood is better unless its the same thing.

I want to lower it because everything I read about my fish says they should be at around 7 - 7.5 is right at the top or what they like.

If stable is better, then I suppose all is good!

I want to lower it because everything I read about my fish says they should be at around 7 - 7.5 is right at the top or what they like.

If stable is better, then I suppose all is good!

I keep Discus in water with a PH of 7.8. If I did everthing I read I would have never had Discus. Don't mess with the water, leave it as it is.

Yep if your Ph is constant your fish will ajust, if your ph is constantly changing then your fish will become stressed and ill.

If your proposed stocking has an ideal ph range of 7-7.5 and your water is 7.4-4.5 then you really have nothing to worry about.

over time (many months or years) if your substrate is buffering the water the ph will naturally settle to that of your tap water or slighlty lower.

all in all its all good

Most reactions

Back